This Technical Insights report examines the technical issues companies face when developing pure natural & organic cosmetics, focusing on formulation and ingredient issues. Practical solutions are offered to the major challenges cosmetic and ingredient companies face when developing these products.
The first part of the report focuses on the major synthetic chemicals typically absent in natural & organic cosmetics. A review is undertaken of such chemicals in each ingredient category (preservatives, emollients, surfactants, etc.), highlighting their practical use and potential health risks.
Details are given of the natural & organic alternatives to these synthetic chemicals in cosmetic products. A critical review is undertaken of the formulation issues: performance, stability, safety, costs, supply, etc. Profiles are given of the suppliers of these natural & organic cosmetic ingredients, giving specific product details.
This Technical Insights report is ideal for companies looking to develop pure natural & organic cosmetic products / ingredients. It helps companies replace synthetic chemicals with natural & organic alternatives, giving practical solutions to major problem areas.
Key Questions Answered:
- What synthetic ingredients are natural & organic cosmetic companies trying to remove from their products?
- What are the natural & organic substitutes for these synthetic chemicals?
- What are the alternatives to using parabens as preservatives? What are the alternatives to using SLS/SLES and other such functional chemicals?
- What are the formulation / technical issues with these natural preservatives, surfactants, etc..?
- What are the safety issues involved in using natural / organic ingredients?
- What are the sourcing challenges concerning natural & organic ingredients?
- What companies supply these raw materials for natural & organic cosmetics?
Reasons to buy the report:
- Learn how to overcome the challenges of developing natural & organic cosmetics
- Evaluate the options of replacing synthetic chemicals with natural & organic ingredients
- Understand the complexities of developing “chemically-clean” cosmetic products
- Assess the safety issues concerning natural & organic ingredients / formulations
- Obtain insights into natural & organic ingredient sourcing
- Review the options to outsourcing production of certified cosmetics products
- Learn how to overcome the issues involving natural & organic formulations & ingredients sourcing
This Technical Insights report has been produced by a chartered chemist with over 30 years experience in cosmetic formulations. Analysis was undertaken by collecting information directly from certification agencies, ingredient suppliers, product developers & formulators as well as cosmetic manufacturers. Information was also gathered from technical seminars & workshops undertaken by Organic Monitor as well as trade & industry associations, industry observers and company visits.
Summary and Overview
Part I: Synthetic Chemicals in Cosmetics
Drivers for Removing Synthetic Ingredients
a. The Consumer
Issues with Synthetic Ingredients
Preservatives / Antibacterials
Solvents / Humectants
Synthetic Dyes / Colours
UV Absorbers (Sunscreens)
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (Quats)
Examples of INCI listings for Pseudo-Natural Products
Part II: Formulation Issues when using Natural & Organic Ingredients
A Review of Natural / Organic Formulation Issues
Development / Manufacture
Examples of True Natural / Organic Product INCI listings
Part III: Profiles of Natural Ingredient Suppliers
c. Oils, Fats, Butters & Waxes
g. Colours, Pearls & Pigments
h. UV Absorbers / Suncreens
i. Essential Oils, Hydrosols & Aromas
Spotlight on Three Major Suppliers
List of Selected Companies