The demand for digital cameras has presented a strong outlook, including cameras fitted in devices such as mobile phones and showed a positive response even in the economic downturn, during 2008 & 2009. Technological advancement has helped the growth of various consumer electronics products, digital cameras being one of them.
The report has highlighted major areas contributing in the digital camera market and DSLR. It starts with discussion of global digital camera shipments, SLR growth and market share of industry players. It also helps to analyse the industry geographically with an overview of US, Europe and Asian markets. To assess the industry and future performance report talks about industry trends, driving factors and future outlook of the industry. The report has also profiled major industry players (Canon, Nikon, Eastman Kodak).
SLR accounted for the highest growth rate in 2009, driven by growth in Asia, especially in China. The potential for growth of digital SLR cameras is very high because of technological innovations, portability, falling prices and rising interest of teens. The growth rate has slowed down in Japan and the US, while it has increased in the emerging regions of China, India and Eastern Europe.
Demand for Digital cameras and SLR has been mainly driven by demand in emerging markets (China, Russia), rising internet usage and favouring disposable income.
- Digital camera shipments reached ~million units in 2009, down by 12% compared to 2008 when more than ~ million units were shipped. Digital SLR shipments increased by 2.3% to nearly ~ million units.
- The forecast anticipates that the sustained steady growth in shipments of interchangeable lens digital SLR cameras will continue with 2010 shipments reaching ~ million units and 2011 shipments totalling ~ million units.
- Taiwan shipped 11.3 million digital cameras in the fourth quarter of 2008, down from the same period one year earlier. Digital camera shipments dropped sequentially in the first quarter of 2009
- In 2008, the SLR shipments in China reached 752,000 an increase of 52.2% over 2007. In Japan, the sale for digital cameras declined by 4.5% in 2009 compared to the previous year. Nikon has gripped the No.1 position in the DSLR market in Japan with ~% as compared to Canon which holds No. 2 position with ~% market share in the first half of 2010.
- In 2008, digital camera market growth slowed in the US reaching to almost ~million units and SLR shipments reached to ~ million in the same year.
- Sales of DSLRs Cameras have maintained its growth even during the recession period in the UK.
Scope of this research
- The report provides all the crucial company information required for business and competitor intelligence needs.
- Contains a study of the major internal and external factors affecting the industry in the form of industry trends, examination of leading industry players and growth drivers.
- Data is supplemented with details on the industry past performance, present analysis and future projections; also opportunities present in many countries.
- Lens Shutter Camera
- Focal Plane Shutter Camera
- Single Lens Reflex (SLR)
- Digital Camera
- Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR)
- Digital Still Cameras
1.2 Global Digital Camera shipments
1.2.1 Performance in Jan09-Jan 10
1.2.2 Performance in Year 2009
1.2.3 Digital Camera Industry by Segments
1.2.4 Performance in Year 2008
1.3 Digital SLR Market Demand
1.5 Global Digital Camera Brands Market Share
1.6 Future Outlook
2. Recent Trends and Opportunities in the Global Market
2.1 Competition tightens in Taiwan
2.2 Digital single lens reflex (SLR) Cameras, A highly Profitable Segment
2.3 Technological Advancements
2.4 Changing Consumer’s Buying Behaviour
3. Industry Driving Forces
3.1 Growth in emerging markets
3.2 Demand for High Quality Products
3.3 Rising Computer Usage and Internet Sales
3.4 Favouring Disposable Income in Developing Countries
4. Asian DSLR Industry
4.1 Demand and Trends
4.2 China Demand and Trends
4.3 Japan Demand and Trends
4.3.1 Market Competition and Market Share
4.3.2 Outlook on Shipments in Japan
5. The US Digital Camera Market
5.1 Demand and Trends
6. European DSLR Industry
6.1 Overview of SLR Market in 2009 and 2010
6.1.1 Shipment of Digital Still Cameras
6.1.2 Overall growth from 2001 to 2008
6.2 The United Kingdom
6.2.1 UK Rise in DSLR Camera Sales
6.3.1 Switzerland Digital SLR Camera Sales
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Canon, Inc.
7.1.1 Business Overview
7.1.2 Financial Performance
7.1.3 Business Strategies
7.2 Nikon Inc.
7.2.1 Business Overview
7.2.2 Financial Performance
7.2.3 Business Strategies
7.3 Eastman Kodak
7.3.1 Business Overview
7.3.2 Financial Performance
7.3.3 Business Strategies
List of Charts
Figure: Worldwide Shipments for Digital Camera by Volume (2003-2009)
Figure: Worldwide Shipments of Digital Cameras by Value (2004-2009)
Figure: Worldwide Digital Camera Market by Segments in 2009
Figure: Worldwide Shipments for DSLR Camera by Volume (2003-2009)
Figure: Interchangeable lens for SLR Shipments (2006-2008)
Figure: Worldwide Digital Camera Brands Market Share in 2009
Figure: Worldwide Digital Camera Brands Market Share in 2010E
Figure: Worldwide Shipment Forecast for Digital Camera (2009-2012E)
Figure: Worldwide Shipment Forecast for Digital SLR Camera (2009-2012E)
Figure: Worldwide Shipment Forecast for Interchangeable Lenses for SLR cameras (2008-2011)
Figure: Taiwan Digital camera shipments (1Q08-1Q09)
Figure: Worldwide Internet Users (2000-2010E)
Figure: Urban per capita Disposable Income in China (1998-2007)
Figure: Japan DSLR Change of Market Share in 2008 compared to 2006
Figure: DSLR (Digital SLR) Market Share in Japan in 2008
Figure: DSLR (Digital SLR) Market Share in Japan in 1H2010
Figure: US Digital Camera Market by Volume (2000-2008)
Figure: American Consumer Electronics Demand and Digital camera in 2006
Figure: DSLR Market Share by Geography in 2009
Figure: Europe Digital Camera Market and forecast by Value/Volume (2001-2012E)
Figure: Canon Inc, Net Sales (2005-2009)
Figure: Eastman Kodak Net Sales (2007-2009)
List of Tables
Table: Japan Shipments of Digital Still Camera Volume by Segments Jan-Oct 2010
Table: Japan Shipments of Digital Still Camera Volume/ Value by Segments in 2009
Table: Japan Digital Camera Shipments by Segments (2009&2010E)
Table: Nikon Net Sales by Business Segments in 2009 & 2010