- Learn how venture capital firms are organized
- Explore techniques for finding and making high–growth investments
- Understand preferred stock provisions and startup valuation methods
- Develop effective fundraising strategies
- Navigate recent regulatory changes
- Evaluate venture capital investment returns
Your express lane to understanding the increasingly complex and evolving business of venture capital
The venture capital industry continues to evolve at a breakneck pace. Essentials of Venture Capital gets you up to speed by providing vital insight into the incentives that drive evolution at venture capital firms.
Essentials of Venture Capital cuts to the chase to follow each step of the venture capital business, examines challenges that have emerged in the past decade, and includes numerous real–world examples to illustrate why some firms adapt and why others fail.
From raising funds and investing in start–ups to reaping the rewards, Essentials of Venture Capital covers the gamut of this rapidly changing industry so you can always be one step ahead of the game.
Inside, you′ll find:
- An overview of the basics of venture capital and the major changes and challenges the industry has faced in the past decade
- Tips for building a career as a venture investor and understanding how firms are organized
- Venture capital fundraising strategies that work even in challenging macroeconomic environments
- The basics of deal–making, legal terms, and investor protections
- Three major methods for connecting with entrepreneurs and making good investments
- Ways to cash in on a venture investment by taking a company public or finding a buyer for it
- Techniques for recognizing and investing during the Boom–Bubble–Bust cycle
- Strategies for establishing a global investment practice and a survey of venture initiatives in new markets abroad
Essentials of Venture Capital is your passport to the rapidly evolving business of investing in inven– tive entrepreneurs and ideas of the future.
The Wiley Essentials Series because the business world is always changing...and so should you.
Chapter 1: Industry Overview.
What is Venture Capital?
How Venture Capital Works.
Venture Capital in Crisis.
Chapter 2: Careers and Organization.
Launching a Career.
Nurturing Your Career as a Venture Capitalist.
Firm Structure and Organization.
Planning for the Future.
Chapter 3: Fundraising.
Fundraising is a Venture Capitalist′s Number One Priority.
What Limited Partners Want.
Working with Limited Partners.
Why Invest in Funds That Lose Money?
First Time Funds.
The Future of Fundraising.
Chapter 4: Investing Basics.
What Makes a Good Deal?
Macroeconomics of Investing.
Typical Preferred Stock Clauses.
Stock During Different Stages of Development.
Chapter 5: Finding Investments.
Hunting for Investments.
Growing Your Own Investments.
Chapter 6: Getting the Money Back.
Gains from Investment.
The IPO Crisis.
Solving the IPO Problem.
Are Fewer IPOs a Bad Thing?
New Strategies and Adaptations for Liquidity.
Chapter 7: Booms, Bubbles & Busts.
Riding the Waves.
Chapter 8: Going Global.
Strategies for Foreign Investing.
Venture Capital Outside the United States.
Rest of the World.