Wave Fields in Geophysics'. The previous two volumes published by Elsevier (2000, 2002) dealt mostly with wave propagation in liquid media.
The third volume is dedicated to propagation of plane, spherical and cylindrical elastic waves in different media including isotropic and transversely isotropic solids, liquid-solid models, and media with cylindrical inclusions (boreholes).
* Prevalence of physical reasoning on formal mathematical derivations
* Readers do not need to have a strong background in mathematics and mathematical physics
* Detailed analysis of wave phenomena in various types of elastic and liquid-elastic media
2. Basic equations of elastic waves.
3. Elastic waves in a homogeneous medium.
4. Plane waves in a layered medium.
5. Surface waves in an elastic medium.
6. Waves in a layered medium caused by linear and point sources.
7. Propagation of elastic waves in a borehole containing a fluid.
8. Plane waves in a transversely isotropic medium.
Emeritus Professor A.Kaufman has 28 years' experience of teaching at the geophysical department in Colorado School of Mines He received his PhD. in Institute of Physics of the Earth (Moscow) and degree of Doctor of Science from the Russian Academy of Science . From 1981 to 20015 he published 14 monographs by Academic Press and Elsevier, describing different geophysical methods. Most of them are translated and published in Russia and China. He also holds three patents, which found application in the surface and borehole geophysics. A. Kaufman is a honorary member of SEG.