2. Enhancing Client Motivation to Change
3. The Therapeutic Alliance: Cultivating and Negotiating the Therapeutic Relationship
4. Narrative Psychotherapy as Effective Story-Making: An Introduction
5. Recognizing and Dealing with Cultural Influences in Psychotherapy
6. Effective Understanding and Dealing with Manipulation
7. Recognizing and Dealing with Transference
8. The Temporal Structure of Therapy: Key Questions often Associated with Different Phases of Sessions and Treatments (Plus Twenty-one Helpful Hints)
9. Resistance as an Ally in Psychotherapy
10. Enhancing Psychotherapy through Appropriate Entry Points
11. Dealing with Feelings of Depression
12. Designing and Assigning Effective Homework
13. Skills Training: How the Master Clinician Understands and Teaches Competencies
14. Using Tasks in Ericksonian Psychotherapy
15. Using Acceptance in Integrative Behavioral Couple Therapy
16. Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy Goes to Hollywood: The Treatment of Performance Anxiety in Cinema
17. The Importance of Novelty in Psychotherapy
18. Interruption Replaces Termination in Focused, Intermittent Psychoterapy throughout the Life Cycle
19. Suicidal Patients: The Ultimate Challenge for Master Psychotherapists
William O'Donohue is the Nicholas Cummings Professor of Organized Behavioral Healthcare at the University of Nevada, Reno. He is also an Adjunct Professor of Psychiatry and Philosophy. He has authored over 100 articles and chapters and co-edited more than 15 books.
Cummings, Nicholas A.
Nicholas A. Cummings, Ph.D., Sc.D. is the President of the Foundation for Behavioral Health and Chairman of the Nicholas & Dorothy Cummings Foundation, Inc. He was the founding CEO of American Biodyne (MedCo/Merck, then Merit, now Magellan Behavioral Care). He is also the former President of the American Psychological Association. Dr. Cummings was the founder of the four campuses of the California School of Professional Psychology, the National Academies of Practice, the American Managed Behavioral Healthcare Association, and the National Council of Professional Schools of Psychology. He was also the Chief Psychologist (Retired) at Kaiser Permanente. He was the former Executive Director of the Mental Research Institute. Currently, Dr. Cummings is a Distinguished Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Janet L. Cummings, PsyD., is President of the Nicholas & Dorothy Cummings Foudation, Inc., and former staff psychologist at American Biodyne (MedCo, now Merit Behavorial Care). She earned her Doctorate at the School of Professional Psychology, Wright State University, 1992.