Over the last decade, the study of cycles as a model for the earth's changing climate has become a new science. Earth Systems Science is the basis for understanding all aspects of anthropogenic global change, such as chemically forced global climate change. The work is aimed at those students interested in the emerging scientific discipline.
Earth Systems Science is an integrated discipline that has been rapidly developing over the last two decades. New information is included in this updated edition so that the text remains relevant.
This volume contains five new chapters, but of special importance is the inclusion of an expanded set of student exercises.
The two senior authors are leading scientists in their fields and have been awarded numerous prizes for their research efforts.
* First edition was widely adopted
* Authors are highly respected in their field
* Global climate change, integral to the book, is now one of the most important issues in atmospheric sciences and oceanography
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Introduction: Biogeochemical Cycles as Fundamental Constructs for Studying Earth System Science and Global Change.
2. The Origin and Early Evolution of the Earth.
3. Evolution and the Biosphere.
4. Modeling Biogeochemical Cycles.
5. Equilibrium, Rate, and Natural Systems.
Part Two: Properties of and Transfers between the Key Reservoirs
6. Water and the Hydrosphere.
7. The Atmosphere.
8. Soils, Watershed Processes, and Marine Sediments.
9. Tectonic Processes and Erosion.
10. The Oceans.
Part Three: Biogeochemical Cycles
11. The Global Carbon Cycle.
12. The Nitrogen Cycle.
13. The Sulfur Cycle.
14. The Phosphorus Cycle.
15. Trace Metals. Part Four: Integration
16. Acid-Base & Oxidation-Reduction Balances of the Earth.
17. The Coupling of Biogeochemical Cycles and Climate: Forcings, Feedbacks, and Responses.
18. Ice Sheets & the Ice-Core Record of Climate Change.
19. Human Modification of the Earth System: Global Change.
Answers to Questions.