- Written for newcomers to Globus Toolkit, but filled with useful information for experienced users.
- Clearly situates Globus application development within the context of Web Services and evolving Grid standards.
- Provides detailed coverage of Web Services programming with the Globus Toolkit's Java WS Core component.
- Covers basic aspects of developing secure services using the Grid Security Infrastructure (GSI).
- Uses simple, didactic examples throughout the book, but also includes a more elaborate example, the FileBuy application, that showcases common design patterns found in Globus applications.
- Concludes with useful reference appendices.
Borja Sotomayor is best known in the Globus community as the author of The Globus Toolkit 4 Programmer's Tutorial (http://gdp.globus.org/gt4-tutorial/), widely regarded as one of the best starting points for newcomers to the Globus Toolkit. He has been collaborating with the Globus Alliance since 2003 in different capacities, and is currently pursuing a doctoral degree at the University of Chicago. Before moving to Chicago, Borja was assistant professor (non-doctor) at the Department of Software Engineering in the University of Deusto (Bilbao, Spain), where he also obtained his degree in Computer Engineering.
Lisa Childers has been a member of the Globus Alliance since 2002, where her responsibilities as Technical Product Manager for the Globus Toolkit include overall coordination of GT4 development as well as outreach activities. Before joining Globus, she worked in the Futures Laboratory (at Argonne National Laboratory) from 1997 to 2002 and helped to found the Access Grid, and before that spent several years in the computer industry as a software engineer in SPSS, Inc. Lisa lives with her husband and two children in Downers Grove, Illinois.