The presentation of SQL adheres to the ANSI standard; however, the book discusses the most popular SQL dialects; a separate chapter covers imbedded SQL. The text also contains references to many significant relational database products, including INGRES, ORACLE, DB2, PARADOX, and SYBASE.
Relational Database Systems concentrates on those issues that are most relevant to database design and application development. Exercises that constitute important extensions of the material are provided at the end of each chapter. The book assumes a knowledge of programming languages and datastructures, and some mathematical induction.
- Includes coverage of embedded SQL, the most important existing application development tool
- Presents query systems within their theoretical context
- Discusses supporting mathematical theory
- Offers a comparison of SQL dialects
- Provides supplemental exercises for each chapter
- Contains references to significant relational database products, including INGRES, ORACLE, DB2, PARADOX, and SYBASE