- Considers the reviewer's perspective
- Detailed presentation of the review process
- All sections of the R01 proposal are reviewed
- Hundreds of tips to enhance proposals
- Includes the many recent changes in NIH policies
- Includes many excerpts from real proposals
- Provides extensive Internet references
The NIH and Other Sources of Research Support.
A Strong Proposal.
The R01 Research Grant.
The Abstract and Specific Aims.
Background and Significance.
Research Design and Methods.
Biographical Sketch, and Other Research Support.
Consortiums and Contracts, Consultants, Collaborators.
Literature Cited and Appendices.
Revision of an Unfunded Proposal.
Competing Renewal of R01 Proposals (Progress Reports).
Proposal Submission and Supplementary Materials.
Your First Grant Award (R, F, or K).
Advice for Beginners in Academia.
Part Two: Advanced Grantsmanship
Small Business Grants.
Program Project Grants.
T-32 Institutional Research Training Program Grants.
A: Information Sources: Private Foundation and Government Websites; Study Sections.
B: Summary Statements, Reviewer Comments, Assignment, Award and Triage Letters.
C: Examples of Figures from Preliminary Data.
D: Examples of Design Format.
E: Instructions to Reviewers Concerning Human Subjects.
F: References and Suggested Reading.