- Treats riparian patterns & processes in a holistic perspective, from ecological components to societal activities- Contains over 130 illustrations and photos that summarize this complex ecological system- Synthesizes the information from more than 6,000 professional articles- Sidebars provide a look into ongoing research that is at the frontiers of riparian ecology and management
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Catchments and the Physical Template
Chapter 3: Riparian Typology
Chapter 4: Structural Patterns
Chapter 5: Biotic Functions of Riparia
Chapter 6: Biophysical Connectivity and Riparian Functions
Chapter 7: Disturbance and Agents of Change
Chapter 8: Management
Chapter 9: Conservation
Chapter 10: Restoration
Chapter 11: Synthesis
Structure and dynamics of lotic ecosystems, landscape ecology, and the role of large animals in influencing ecosystem dynamics.
- 1988-present: Professor, College of Ocean and Fishery Sciences and College of Forest Resources, University of Washington
- 1993-present: Faculty Affiliate, Division of Biological Sciences, The University of Montana
- 2001-2002: Sabbatical Fellow, National Center for Ecological Analysis and Syntheses (NCEAS), University of California, Santa Barbara and The Ecosystem Center, Woods Hole, MA
- 1988-1996: Director, Center for Streamside Studies, University of Washington
- 1995: Visiting Professor, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
- 1985-1988: Director, Center for Water and the Environment, Natural Resources Research Institute, University of Minnesota; Professor, Department of Fisheries and WIldlife, and the Department of Ecology and Behavioral Biology, University of Minnesota
- 1978-1985: Director, Matamek Research Program, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- 1984, 1988: Visiting Scientist, Centre d'Ecologie, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Toulouse, France
- 1983: Visiting Professor, University of Montana
- 1977-1978: Assistant Curator, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia
- 1976-1977: Research Associate, Oregon State University
- 1974-1976: Postdoctoral Fellow, Fisheries Research Board of Canada, Pacific Biological Station
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography
- Ecological Society of America
- North American Benthological Society
- Societas Internationalis Limnologie
Recent Committee & Consulting Activity (1986-1999)
- National Science Foundation: *Water and Watersheds Panel
*Long-term ecological research advisory panel
*Ecosystem research advisory panel
*Various NSF site reviews
*Coordinating committee and chair--various NSF
Domain of Research: River Ecology and riparian landscapes.
- Director of the Centre d'Ecologie des Ressources Renouvelables, CNRS Laboratory in Toulouse (1981-1995).
- Director of the team "Ecologie des écosystèmes riverains" at the Centre d'Ecologie des Systèms Aquatiques Continentaux, CNRS et Université Toulouse 3 (1995-2001).
Present National Responsibility:
- President of the "Groupement d'Intérêt Public: Ecosystèmes Forestiers - ECOFOR" (2000-
- President of several Scientific Committees at the French Ministry of the Environment.
Past International Responsibilities:
- President of the Scientific Committee of the programme MAB.UNESCO "Land-Inland Water interface: Research and Management" (1988-1996)
- President of the "Internaional Association for Landscape Ecology" (IALE) (1991-1995)
- Scientific coordinator of the programmes of the European Commission: 'European River Margins' et 'Floodplain Biodiversity and Restoration'.
Organization of the internationa symposia:
- "Quels Flueves pour demain?" Ministère de l'Environment et CNRS, Orléans, September 1991.
- "World Congress of the International Association for the Landscape Ecology (IALE)," Touslouse, July 1995.
- "Eighth International Symposium on Regulated Streams - EISORS," Toulouse, July 2000.
- University of Toulouse: Aquatic Ecology lectures at the PhD level (1990-1996).
- Univresity of Roskilde, Denmark: international seminars at the PhD level 'Landscape ecology and the dynamics of agricultural landscapes' (1997 and 2000).
- University de Sao Paulo, Brazil: Landscape Ecology lectures at the PhD level (1998).
McClain, Michael E.