Features of this book:
- Provides synthetic strategies to generate ultrasmall particles, films and wires
- Describes the characterization methodologies of a large number of nanomaterials from the molecular level to the long-range crystallographic ordering
- Develops theoretical descriptions of present-day quantum confinement effects in various materials, including metallic particles, III-V semiconductors, and porous silicon
- Explores the fate of photoinduced charge carriers in these materials and the phenomena of charge transfer across interfaces
- Covers the utilization of these newly discovered effects in analytical chemistry, organic synthesis, environmental remediation, and electrochemistry.
The aim of the book is to present the necessary background material for advanced undergraduate students in the field of physical chemistry and materials science and provide a reference book for the experts in this area.
some comparisons with semiconductor colloids (P. Mulvaney). Surface characterization of nanostructured systems (M. Tomkiewicz). Quantum well and superlattice electrodes (A.J. Nozik). Pseudopotential theory of nanometer silicon quantum dots (L.-W. Wang, A. Zunger). Luminescent porous silicon: synthesis, chemistry, and applications (M.J. Sailor, J.L. Heinrich, J.M. Lauerhaas). Composite semiconductor nanoclusters (P.V. Kamat). Photoelectron transfer in nanocomposite films, layer by layer self-assembled from polycations and anionic semiconductors (J.J. Fendler). Semiconductor nanocrystals in photoconductive polymers: charge generation and charge transport (Y. Wang). Nanostructure and size quantization in chemical solution deposited semiconductor films (S. Gorer, G. Hodes). Electrodeposition and characterization of nanocrystalline semiconductor films (K. Rajeshwar, N.R. de Tacconi). Nanocrystalline electronic junctions (M. Grätzel). Nanostructures in analytical chemistry (E. Pelizzetti, C. Minero). Semiconductor-mediated photocatalysis for organic synthesis (Y. Li, L. Wang). Application of nanoparticles in the photocatalytic degradation of water pollutants (N. Serpone, R.F. Khairutdinov). Applications in photocatalytic purification of air (X. Fu, W.A. Zeltner, M.A. Anderson). Author index. Subject index.