- Covers everything you need to know about pneumatic tires and their impact on vehicle performance, including mathematic modeling and its practical application
- Written by the acknowledged world authority on the topic and the name behind the most widely used model, Pacejka's 'Magic Formula'
- Updated with the latest information on new and evolving tire models to ensure you can select the right model for your needs, apply it appropriately and understand its limitations
In this well-known resource, leading tire model expert Hans Pacejka explains the relationship between operational variables, vehicle variables and tire modeling, taking you on a journey through the effective modeling of complex tire and vehicle dynamics problems.
Covering the latest developments to Pacejka's own industry-leading model as well as the widely-used models of other pioneers in the field, the book combines theory, guidance, discussion and insight in one comprehensive reference.
While the details of individual tire models are available in technical papers published by SAE, FISITA and other automotive organizations, Tire and Vehicle Dynamics remains the only reliable collection of information on the topic and the standard go-to resource for any engineer or researcher working in the area.
- New edition of the definitive book on tire mechanics, by the acknowledged world authority on the topic- Covers everything an automotive engineer needs to know about pneumatic tires and their impact on vehicle performance, including mathematic modelling and its practical application- Most vehicle manufacturers use what is commonly known as Pacejka's 'Magic Formula', the tire model developed and presented in this book
1. Tyre Characteristics and Vehicle Handling and Stability 2. Basic Tyre Modelling Considerations 3. Theory of Steady-State Slip Force and Moment Generation 4. Semi-Empirical Tyre Models 5. Non-Steady-State Out-of-Plane String-Based Tyre Models 6. Theory of the Wheel Shimmy Phenomenon 7. Single Contact Point Transient Tyre Models 8. Applications of Transient Tyre Models 9. Short Wavelength Intermediate Frequency Tyre Model 10. Dynamic Tyre Response to Short Road Unevennesses 11. Motorcycle Dynamics 12. Tyre steady-state and dynamic test facilities 13. Outlines of Three Advanced Dynamic Tyre Models: The RMOD-K Tyre Model, The FTire Tyre Model, The MF-Swift Tyre Model References Appendix 1. Sign Conventions for Force and Moment and Wheel Slip Appendix 2. Online Information Appendix 3. MF-Tyre/MF-Swift Parameters and Estimation Methods Index
1934 Born in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
1946-1951 Highschools in Rotterdam and Bandung (Indonesia)
1959 MSc. degree in Mechanical Engineering at TU-Delft
1966 Ph.D. degree at the Delft University of Technology
Thesis on the Wheel Shimmy Phenomenon
Advisers: Prof. De Pater and Prof. Van Eldik Thieme
!966-1996 Professor of Vehicle System Engineering
Delft University of Technology
1971 Visiting professor at HSRI (UMTRI), University of Michigan
!972-1989 Editor in Chief of journal Vehicle System Dynamics
1977-1989 Secretary General of the International Association for Vehicle System Dynamics (IAVSD)
!989 Honorary Doctorate
Stockholm Royal Institute of Technology
1993-2006 Consultant TNO-Automotive, The Netherlands
1994-2000 President of IAVSD
2002- 2012 Author of book (1st, 2nd ,3d editions) 'Tire and Vehicle Dynamics'
Hans' areas of expertise include theoretical and experimental research on the dynamics of road vehicles and on the mechanical behaviour of pneumatic tires, and Bond graph modeling of dynamic systems.