- First book to use behavioral analysis to talk about Adult Children of Alcoholics
- Gives introductory principles of conditioning in opening chapters for novice readers
- First book to say ACOA patterns are predictable, measurable, and treatable in a short time
- Gives scientifically based criteria to "rate your date" and prevent repeated relationship failures
- Introduces a new assessment device to diagnose ACOAs
- Warns therapists of recovery sabotage and how to overcome it
Part I: Assessment of Adult Children of Alcoholics.
What is an Adult Children of an Alcoholic (ACOA).
Operational Analysis of the ACOA Syndrome.
Behavioral Patterns of the ACOA Syndrome.
Family Rules and Contingencies.
Living with ACOAs: Spousal Reactions.
Living with ACOAs: Parent-Child Reactions.
Assessment of ACOA Behaviors.
Part II: Treatment Methodology for Adult Children of Alcoholics.
Basic Components of Short-Term Treatment.
Side Effects of Healthy Recovery.
Dr. Douglas Ruben is a psychologist and national consultant on family therapy, addictions, forensics, and media psychology. He is the author and co-author of over 40 books and over 100 professional articles, and is on the editorial board of The Forensic Examiner. Dr. Ruben is also the Director of the ACOA Behavior Research Center.