- Provides the reader with insight and understanding for key active optical components frequently being / to be used in the optical communication systems, essential building blocks of today's/next generation fiber optic networks
- Allows engineers working in optical communication area, (from system to component) to understand the principle and mechanics of each key component they deal with for optical system design
- Covers different laser diodes as transmitter and pumping sources, different modulators, and different photodetectors
PART 1. Laser Sources
2. Longwavelength Laser Source
3. High Power Semiconductor Lasers for EDFA Pumping
4. Tunable Laser Diodes
5. Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser Diodes
PART II: Optical Diodes
6. Lithium Niobate Optical Modulators
7. Electroabsorption Modulators
PART III: Photodetectors
8. P-I-N Photodiodes
9. Avalanche Photodiodes
PART IV: Fabrication Technologies
10. Selective Growth Techniques and Their Applications in WDM Device Fabrication
11. Dry Etching Technology for Optical Devices
PART V: Optical Packaging Technologies
12. Optical Packaging/Module Technologies: Design Methodologies
13. Packaging Technologies for Optical Components: Integrated Module
Masahiko Fujiwara, Ph.D., is a chief engineer, Network Research Laboratories, NEC Corporation, Tsukuba, Japan. He has published over 100 papers, and holds 30 patents. His research interests are in the optical component integration, optical cross-connect switching system, optical networking for next generation communication.
Dutta, Niloy K.
Niloy K. Dutta, Ph.D., is a Professor of Physics Department, University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut. He has published over 240 technical papers. He has published a book on " Long Wavelength Semiconductor Lasers " and a second edition with the title Semiconductor Lasers, and also the editor of a book on Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers: Technology and Applications. He has received various awards including IEEE's Distinguished Lecturer Award. His reaserch interests are in the optical components, amplifier, and WDM systems for short and long-haul communication.
Dutta, Achyut K.
Achyut Dutta is an engineering manager in the Lightwave and Module Design Center, Fujitsu Compound Semiconductor, Inc, San Jose, California. He has published over 100 technical papers, and holds 15 patents. He received various awards including NEC's best R&D award for technology development of first plastic-optical-fiber (POF) based private network. His research interests are in the high-speed optical components, their integration, and system demonstration including optical networking for next generation communication.