Careful attention is given to developing and interrelating four approaches - steady state energy levels, the rotating vector picture, the density matrix, and the product operator formalism. The presentation is based on the assumption that the reader has an acquaintance with the general principles of quantum mechanics, but no extensive background in quantum theory or proficiency in mathematics is required. Likewise, no previous background in NMR is assumed, since the book begins with a description of the basic physics, together with a brief account of the historical development of the field.
This third edition of High Resolution NMR preserves the "conversational" approach of the previous editions that has been well accepted as a teaching tool. However, more than half the material is new, and the remainder has been revised extensively. Problems are included to reinforce concepts in the book.
- Uses mathematics to augment, not replace, verbal explanations
- Written in a clear and conversational style
- Follows the successful format and approach of two previous editions
- Revised and updated extensively--about 70 percent of the text is new
- Includes problems and references to additional reading at the end of each chapter