* Useful to the database administrator and/or security administrator - regardless of the precise database vendor (or vendors) that you are using within your organization.
* Has a large number of examples - examples that pertain to Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Sybase and even MySQL..
* Many of the techniques you will see in this book will never be described in a manual or a book that is devoted to a certain database product.
* Addressing complex issues must take into account more than just the database and focusing on capabilities that are provided only by the database vendor is not always enough. This book offers a broader view of the database environment - which is not dependent on the database platform - a view that is important to ensure good database security.
1. Getting Started
2. Database Security within the General Security
Landscape and a Defense-in-Depth Strategy
3. The Database as a Networked Server
4. Authentication and Password Security
5. Application Security
6. Using Granular Access Control
7. Using the Database To Do Too Much
8. Securing database-to-database communications
11. Regulations and Compliance
12. Auditing Categories
13. Auditing Architectures
Ron Ben-Natan is Chief Technical Officer at Guardium, a leader in database and application security. Ron is an expert in the field of application security, database security and enterprise applications. He is also an expert in distributed computing, J2EE applications, and Web services. He has published 9 technical books
including several best-selling WebSphere application server books and over 40 technical articles.
CORBA, McGraw Hill, 353pp, 0070054274
Objects on the Web, McGraw Hill, 488pp, 0070062811
CORBA on the Web, McGraw Hill, 432pp, 0070067244
IBM San Francisco Developer's Guide, McGraw Hill, co-authored with Ori Sasson, 928pp, 0071351779
IBM WebSphere Starter Kit, Osborne/McGraw Hill, co-authored with Ori Sasson, 720pp, 0072124075
Web Applications - Published in Japanese for the Japanese market, co-authored with Ori Sasson
Integrating Service Level Agreements, John Wiley & Sons, co-authored with John Lee, 352pp, 0471210129
IBM WebSphere Application Server - the Complete Reference, Osborne/McGraw Hill, co-authored with Ori Sasson, 997pp, 0072223944
Mastering WebSphere Portal, John Wiley & Sons, co-authored with Richard Gornitsky, Tim Hannis, and Ori Sasson, 552pp, 0764539914