- Includes a historical overview of neurosteroid research
- Contains a chapter on neurosteroid biosynthesis and regulation
- Presents current methods of neurosteroid measurement and analysis
- Discusses neurosteroid function in both the normal and the pathological brain
- Chapters address the function of neurosteroid in: Stress, Receptor plasticity and function, Learning and Memory, Alcohol use, Depression
Biosynthesis of Neurosteroids and Regulation of their Synthesis.
Neurosteroid 7-hydroxylation Products in Brain.
Analysis of neurosteroids.
Role of Peripheral-Type Benzodiazepine Receptors in Adrenal and Brain Steroidogenesis.
Formation and Effects of Neuroactive Steroids in the Central and Peripheral Nervous System.
Neurosteroids and GABAA receptor function.
GABAA Receptor Plasticity During Long-Term Exposure to and Withdrawal From Progesterone.
Stress and Neuroactive Steroids.
Neurosteroids in learning and memory processes.
Neurosteroids and behaviour.
Ethanol and Neurosteroid Interactions in Brain.
Preclinical Development of Neurosteroids as Neuroprotective Agents for the Treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases.
Clinical Implications of Circulating Neurosteroids.
Neuroactive Steroids and CNS Disorders.
Neuroactive Steroids in Neuropsychopharmacology.
Neurosteroids in the pharmacology and physiopathology of depression