This book is dedicated to the memory of Jan Ursing (1926 - 2000), Swedish microbiologist, taxonomist and philosopher.
"...taxonomy is on the borders of philosophy because we do not know the natural continuities and discontinuities..."
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
List of contributors.
1. An introduction to the generation and analysis of microbial typing data (L. Dijkshoorn, K. Towner).
2. Theoretical aspects of pattern analysis (A. van Ooyen).
3. Setting-up intra- and inter-laboratory databases of electrophoretic profiles (H.F. Heersma, K. Kremer, D. van Soolingen, J. Hauman).
4. Fingerprinting of microorganisms by protein and lipopolysaccharide SDS-PAGE (L. Dijkshoorn).
5. rRNA gene restriction pattern determination (ribotyping) and computer interpretation (P.A.D. Grimont, F. Grimont).
6. Generation and analysis of RAPD fingerprinting profiles (K. Towner, H. Grundmann).
7. Analysis of microbial genomic macrorestriction patterns by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) typing (M.J. Struelens, R. De Ryck, A. Deplano).
8. Selective restriction fragment amplification by AFLPT (P.J.D. Janssen).
9. Application and analysis of ARDRA patterns in bacterial identification, taxonomy and phylogeny (M. Vaneechoutte, M. Heyndrickx).
10. Insertion sequence (IS) typing and oligotyping (N.A. Saunders).
11. Molecular characterisation of microbial communities based on 16S rRNA sequence diversity (E.G. Zoetendal, A.D.L. Akkermans, W.M. de Vos).
12. From multilocus enzyme electrophoresis to multilocus sequence typing (D.A. Caugant).