The use of optoelectronics for data communication is becoming increasingly important in the 1990s. Much of the base technology needed for this field was developed by the telecommunications industry, but there are important differences which are covered in this text.
This is the first book to focus on the critical technology and application issues that are necessary to understand the optoelectronics for data communication industry, which is expected to grow exponentially during the coming years. Optoelectronics for Data Communication is an excellent reference for both researchers and engineers because it emphasizes fundamentals rather than more easily dated topics. The book focuses particular attention on practical engineering issues, making it invaluable to those who have worked or studied in the field of optoelectronics for telecommunication and are now moving to optoelectronics for data communication.
- Focuses on fundamentals of the field
- Reviews critical technologies and applications
- Explains important technology compatibility issues
- Includes chapters written by specialists in each area with emphasis on engineering issues and practical aspects
- Presents coverage of topics that are unique to optical data communications
Fiber, Cable and Coupling
Light Sources, Detectors and Basic Optics
Integrated Circuits, Transceiver Modules, and Packaging
Data Processing Systems and Optoelectronics
Bringing a Product to Market
The Future of Information Technology