A comprehensive how–to guide on using immunoassay technology with genetically modified crops
With the dramatic rise in the adoption of genetically engineered (GE) or genetically modified (GM) crops in countries around the world, scientists and professionals in government, academia, and agriculture are increasingly required to know how to use immunochemistry technology to detect and monitor GM plants and related products.
Immunoassays in Agricultural Biotechnology provides for the first time a comprehensive, easy–to–use technical guide on the application of immunoassay methods for the analysis of GM crops and related areas. Geared to readers with varying degrees of technical skill and experience in the field, this handy book explains topics from the ground up. It also includes methods and protocols, essential reference materials, and much more.
Contributed chapters by international experts cover a range of topics, from current technologies to food regulation, including:
All aspects of assay development, including formats, kit development, manufacturing, and quality control
Immunoassay method validation techniques
Applications in GM crop research, product development, and commercialization
Immunoassay automation and high throughput in plant sample analysis
The latest applications of immunoassays in seed, grain, and food processing
Environmental applications and soil monitoring
Applications in animal vaccine development and biopharmaceutical research
Regulatory issues, including trade barriers and the negative aspects of GM technology
2. Principle of Immunoassays (Kerrm Yau and Claudia Sheedy).
3. Antibody Engineering in Agricultural Biotechnology (Patrick Doyle, Mehdi Arbabi–Ghahroudi, Claudia Sheedy, Kerrm Yau and J. Christopher Hall).
4. Microtiter Plate ELISA (Michael Brown).
5. Lateral Flow Devices (Murali Bandle, Rick Thompson and Guomin Shan).
6. Immunoassay Method Validation (Jean Schmidt and Clara Alarcon).
7. Reference Materials and Considerations (Tandace A. Scholdberg and G. Ronald Jenkins).
8. Automation of Immunoassays (Michele Yarnall).
9. Data Interpretation and Sources of Error (Rod Herman and Guomin Shan).
10. Immunoassay Applications in Trait Discovery, Product Development and Registration (Beryl Packer, Andre Silvanovich and David Grothaus).
11. Immunoassay Applications in Grain Products and Food Processing (Gina Clapper and Lulu Kurman).
12. Immunoassay Applications on Soil Monitoring (Guomin Shan).
13. Immunoassay Applications in Plant–based Biopharma (Thomas Patterson and Greg Gilles).
14. Immunoassays in Veterinary Plant–made Vaccines (Giorgio De Guzman, Robert P. Shepherd and Amanda M. Walmsley).
15. Immunoassay as a GE Detection Method In International Trade (Ray Shillito and Thomas Currier).
16. Future Perspectives and Challenges (Lucy Liu, Ai–Guo Gao, Leslie Harrison, Kerrm Yau, John Lawry and G. Shan).