Complicating the internal security landscape in Mindanao are the possible links between domestic Islamic insurgents and international terrorist networks. Addressing these threats requires international and regional cooperation and improved police and military capabilities to better monitor and control the movement of people, goods, and funds. The Department of National Defense (DND) and its primary bureau, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), play a crucial role in maintaining a growing economy.
Since the end of World War II, the Philippines has been on an unfortunate economic trajectory, going from one of the richest countries in Asia (following Japan) to one of the poorest. This has definitely had an impact on its budget and maintenance of its military sector. It has also gained a reputation as the “Kidnapping Capital of Asia” in recent years, with kidnap-for-ransom establishing itself as a popular and lucrative business for the Filipino underworld. Malls and stores are often bombed throughout the islands, killing mostly innocent bystanders.
With its economy gaining momentum recently, a GDP growth of 5.1% is predicted in 2011. This can be looked as a sign of relief because finally the Philippines will be able to make some good investments in order to boost its military condition. Among its allies, the U.S. is committed to the defense of the Philippines and providing it with affordable weaponry amidst mounting tensions in the South China Sea. Recently, Philippine President Benigno Aquino warned the Chinese defense minister of a possible arms race in the region if tensions worsened over disputes in the South China Sea.
In this industry scenario, Taiyou Research analyzes the Defense and Security industries in Philippines. The report covers the following:
- In order to understand the development of the Filipino defense and security industry, it is important to take a look at the geopolitical situation in the world, particularly in South East Asia. Our research report analyzes the emergence of a new geopolitical situation in the world through a look at the new roles to be played by the United States, China, Japan, the Koreas, India, Russia, Europe, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, the Middle East, and Africa, in the coming years.
- The emergence of new great powers around the world in the face of growing global terrorism is analyzed in the report.
- An analysis of the security market in South East Asia is important in establishing the importance of Philippines in this industry across this entire region. The geopolitical significance of South East Asia is important as there are many flashpoints in the region that could have an impact on the Philippines.
- In order to examine the defense and security industries in Philippines, it is necessary to analyze the political landscape in the Philippines, including the major political changes on the horizon.
- Moving on to the analysis of the security industry in Philippines, we analyze the domestic security situation as well as the external security situation, particularly the problem of terrorism faced by the country. Furthermore, we analyze the impact of the Filipino relations with the US and the disputed region of the South China Sea.
- We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Filipino Security Market.
- An analysis of Philippines’ Armed Forces is necessary in order to establish the growing importance of Philippines in the Asian region in terms of military presence.
- Moving on to an analysis of Philippines’ defense industry, we analyze the market profile, industry trends, competition in the industry, Philippines’ arms trade, and procurement of arms in the industry.
- We carry out a SWOT analysis of the Filipino Defense Industry.
- Outlook for the Filipino Defense and Security Industry is carried out through a forecast for defense expenditure and defense trade, and a forecast for the Filipino Armed Forces.
Taiyou Research’s report on Defense and Security in Philippines is a complete profile of this competitive industry in the Philippines.
2. Emergence of a New Geopolitical Scenario
2.1 Global Political Overview & Outlook
2.2 Role of the US under Question
2.3 United States: Possible Loss of Superpower Status
2.4 Role of the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) & Japan
2.5 China: A Possible Challenger to the US
2.6 Role of Japan & the Koreas
2.7 Impact of the Earthquake on Japan
2.8 Emergence of India
2.9 Russia: Strategic Revival in Sight?
2.10 Europe: Suffering from the Debt Crises of 2010
2.11 Growing Threat of Terrorism
3. Emergence of a Multi-Polar World Order
3.1 Emergence of New Great Power
3.2 Possible Power Conflicts
3.3 Growing Cyber Warfare & Technological Challenges
3.4 Emerging Political Outlook & End of Globalization
4. Security Market in South East Asia
4.1 Geopolitical Significance of South East Asia
4.2 Challenges to Political Stability
4.2.1 Poor Governance
4.2.2 Rapid Population Growth
4.2.3 Organized Crime
4.2.4 Problem of Militancy
4.2.5 Problem of Piracy
4.2.6 Flashpoint: South China Sea/Spratly Islands
4.2.7 Flashpoint: Thai-Cambodian Border
4.2.8 Emergence of the New People's Army
4.2.9 Risk Factor: Future of Myanmar
4.2.10 Sino-US Rivalry
4.3 Outlook for South East Asia
5. Political Landscape in Philippines
5.1 Major Events on the Domestic Front
5.2 International Politics
5.2 Challenges to Stability
5.4 Likelihood for Political Change
5.4.1 Possibility of Charter Change
5.4.2 Likelihood of Constitutional Change
5.4.3 Radical Political Change
5.5 Political Outlook
6. Security Market in Philippines
6.1 Domestic Security Situation
6.1.1 Problem of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF)
6.1.2 Problem of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF)
6.1.3 Problem of Abu Sayyaf
6.2 External Security
6.2.1 Issue of Piracy
6.2.2 Dispute over the South China Sea
6.2.3 Military Relations with the US
7. Philippines Security Market: SWOT Analysis
8. Philippines Armed Forces
8.1 Market Profile
8.2 Expenditure on Armed Forces
8.3 Global Deployments
8.4 Philippines’ Weapons of Mass Destruction
9. Philippines Defense Industry
9.1 Market Profile
9.2 Trading of Arms
9.3 Industry Trends
9.4 Trends in Defense Procurement
10. Philippines Defense Industry: SWOT Analysis
11. Major Industry Players
11.1 Arms Corporation of the Philippines
11.2 Government Arsenal (GA)
12. Industry Forecast
12.1 Forecast for Armed Forces
12.2 Forecast for Defense Expenditure
12.3 Forecast for Defense Import/Export
13.1 Philippines Political Landscape: SWOT Analysis
13.2 Philippines Economic Landscape: SWOT Analysis
15. Research Methodology