This book covers filtration in various modes of operation for both solid/gas and solid/liquid suspensions. It provides the necessary knowledge and background information to prepare and equip persons who are interested in serious filtration work. It is a useful reference/text for students and practicing engineers. It can also be adopted as an advanced text book for various engineering courses in chemical, environmental, mechanical and metallurgical engineering.
The book presents analysis and treatment of filtration processes employing different filter media operating in various modes for both gas/solid and liquid/solid systems.
- Presents a concise overview of filtration enabling full understanding of the applications as well as theunderlying theoretical foundations
- Presents filtration techniques in its entirety, i.e. gas/solid and liquid.solid separations and outlines their differences, coverage not found in any of the existing publications
- Presents rational procedures for analysing experimental data in a clear and easy to understand fashion by students and engineers
- Includes numerous illustrative examples enabling understanding of the underlying theory and selection of the most suitable solution for the particular application
- Provides detailed filter parameters (efficiency coefficients) vital in the design of filters
- Includes problems and solutions at the end of each chapter connecting the theoretical concepts with the practical aspects for engineers
- Written by the top expert on the subject of filtration
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
Preface 1. Introduction Part I: Cake Filtration 2. Cake Formation and Growth 3. Post-Treatment Processes of Cake Filtration 4. Fabric Filtration of Gas-Solid Mixtures Part II: Deep Bed Filtration 5. Deep Bed Filtration: Description and Analysis 6. Particle Deposition Mechanisms, Predictions, Determination and Correlations of Filter Coefficient/Collector Efficiency 7. Deep Bed Filtration Models Index
Chi Tien (BSc., National Taiwan University, 1952; MSc., 1954; PhD., Northwestern University, 1958) is professor emeritus of chemical engineering at Syracuse University. During his teaching career, Professor Tien also taught at the University of Tulsa, University of Windsor, National University of Singapore, and Nanyang Technological University. In addition, he had visiting appointments with University of Leeds, Karlsruhe University, and University of Duisburg-Essen. For over 60 years, Professor Tien has been actively engaged in fluid/particle separation and adsorption research and has published widely. He authored and coauthored a number of books including Granular Filtration of Aerosols and Hydrosols, 1st Ed. (Butterworths), Adsorption Calculations and Modeling (Butterworths-Heinemann), Kinetics of Metal Ion Adsorption from Aqueous Solutions: Models, Algorithms, and Applications (with S. Yiacoumi, Kluwer Academic Publisher), Introduction to Cake Filtration: Analyses, Experiments, and Applications (Elsevier), Granular Filtration of Aerosols and Hydrosols, 2nd Ed. (with B. V. Ramaro, Elsevier), and Principles of Filtration (Elsevier).