1. Keying, states, and block diagram construction;
2. Common issues and signal characterization;
3. Important details on results from Shannon, Nyquist, and others;
4. Digital amplitude modulation: ASK;
5. Digital frequency modulation: FSK;
6. Digital phase modulation: PSK;
7. Combined digital modulations: QAM and OFDM;
8. Spread spectrum;
9. Wireless propagation and antenna fundamentals;
10. Principles of coding;
11. Multiple access techniques;
12. Signal trade-offs and system evolution; Appendix A. Phasor review; Appendix B. Decibels (dB) really are simple; Appendix C. Analog modulation basics; Appendix D. Quadrature modulation and demodulation principles; Appendix E. Polar modulation and demodulation principles; Appendix F. Derivative-zeroed pulse family; Appendix G. Selected DWC standards and their modulations.
Earl McCune is a practising engineer and Silicon Valley entrepreneur. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, Stanford University, and the University of California, Davis, he has over thirty years of post-graduate industry experience in wireless communications circuits and systems. Now semi-retired, he has founded two successful start-up companies, each of them winning industrial awards for their technical innovation.