2. Instabilities of fluids at rest;
3. Stability of open flows: basic ideas;
4. Inviscid instability of parallel flows;
5. Viscous instability of parallel flows;
6. Instabilities at low Reynolds number;
7. Avalanches, ripples, and dunes;
8. Nonlinear dynamics of systems with few degrees of freedom;
9. Nonlinear dispersive waves;
10. Nonlinear dynamics of dissipative systems;
11. Dynamical systems and bifurcations; Appendix. The Saint–Venant equations; Bibliography; Index.
François Charru is a Professor of Mechanics at the University of Toulouse, France, and researcher at the Institut de Mécanique des Fluides de Toulouse.