1. Structural properties;
2. Quantum mechanics and electronic levels;
3. Electronic levels in solids;
4. Charge transport;
5. Light absorption and emission;
6. Dielectric reponse: polarization effects;
7. Optical modulation and switching;
8. Magnetic effects in solids; A. Important properties of semiconductors; B. P-N diode: a summary; C. Fermi golden rule; D. Lattice vibrations and phonons; E. Defect scattering and mobility; Index.
Jasprit Singh obtained his PhD in Solid State Physics from the University of Chicago. He is currently a professor in the Applied Physics Program and in the Department of Electronic and Computer Science at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He has held visiting positions at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He has authored over 250 technical articles. He has also authored 8 textbooks in the area of applied physics and technology. His area of expertise is novel materials for applications in intelligent devices.