1. General points on materials and their rheophysical behaviour;
2. Overview of the mechanics of continuous media;
3. Hydrodynamics of simple liquids;
4. Solid elasticity;
5. Defects, plasticity and fracture solids;
6. Rheology of isotropic viscoelastic materials (1);
7. Rheology of isotropic viscoelastic materials (2);
8. The rheology of liquid crystals; References; Notations; Index.
Patrick Oswald is Director of Research with CNRS at the Physics Laboratory at the Ecole Normale Sup�rieure, University of Lyon, France. His research spans many areas in soft condensed matter, including thermotropic and lyotropic liquid crystals, crystal growth, defects, plasticity and rheology.