1. General points on materials and their rheophysical behaviour;
2. Overview of the mechanics of continuous media;
3. Hydrodynamics of simple liquids;
4. Solid elasticity;
5. Defects, plasticity and fracture solids;
6. Rheology of isotropic viscoelastic materials (1);
7. Rheology of isotropic viscoelastic materials (2);
8. The rheology of liquid crystals; References; Notations; Index.
Patrick Oswald is Director of Research with CNRS at the Physics Laboratory at the Ecole Normale Supérieure, University of Lyon, France. His research spans many areas in soft condensed matter, including thermotropic and lyotropic liquid crystals, crystal growth, defects, plasticity and rheology.