- Focuses on commercial considerations such as regulation, markets, security and charging issues
- Provides wide–ranging content on the business issues that are attractive to a non–technical readership
- Puts 3G and UMTS into context by showing its evolution to its present status as well as giving an outlook on the future of mobile communications
- Includes state–of–the–art advice on 3G and UMTS architecture and deployment, illustrated with practical examples from around the world
This is essential reading for technicians and engineers recruited to develop the UMTS and WLAN networks; employees of operators and manufacturers in the industry, new recruits to regulators, and administrators wishing to gain a background understanding of the business of mobile multimedia.
Foreword by Jean–Pierre Bienaimé.
Foreword by Tom Wheeler.
1.1 The 3G Mobile Pathfinders: Existing Wireless Communication Systems.
1.2 The History of 3G.
2. Mobile Communications Markets.
2.1 Market Analysis.
2.2 The Market Studies of the UMTS Forum.
3. Services and Applications.
3.2 Description of Some Services and Applications.
3.3 Portals and their Business Models.
3.4 Service Providers Business Strategies.
3.5 Mobile Internet Protocol.
3.6 IP Multimedia Subsystem: Service Aspects.
3.7 Naming, Addressing and Other Identifiers.
4.1 The ITU IMT–2000 Family Concept.
4.2 Technology Competitors.
4.3 Impact on Standardisation.
4.4 Terminals and Devices.
4.5 Names and Addresses Used in GPRS.
5. Spectrum for UMTS.
5.1 Spectrum Availability.
5.2 WARC–92 Spectrum Sharing Scenarios.
5.3 More Spectrum Needed: Extension Bands for UMTS/IMT–2000 and WRC–2000 Results.
5.4 The Situation After WRC–2000.
5.5 Spectrum Beyond 3G and Preparation for WRC–07.
6. Regulation, Licensing and Global Terminal Usage.
6.3 Recommendations for Administrations.
6.4 Lessons Learned from the Licensing Process.
6.5 Global Terminal Circulation and Certification.
7. Mobile Communication and its Impact on Social Behaviour.
7.1 Executive Summary.
7.2 Theme 1: Social Connectivity.
7.3 Theme 2: Emotion and Mobiles.
7.4 Theme 3: Public and Private.
7.5 How GSM was Shaped by the Consumer.
8. 3G and Beyond.
8.1 A Long–Term Business Issue.
8.2 The Research and Development Path.
8.3 Research Programmes.
8.4 Impact on New Spectrum and WRC–2007.
8.5 Implications for System Design.