Chemical Engineering: Trends and Developments begins with the scope and basic concepts of chemical engineering by explaining the advances in chemical engineering and the rationale for the selected topics. This book continues with an overview of the whole discipline with several chapters related to the separations process. Subsequent chapters focus on applications covered in the field, such as reaction engineering, particle manufacture and encapsulation and coating. The final chapters are dedicated to process integration with techniques applied to actual industry practice, demonstrating the advances and opportunities in this field.
- Focuses on the key technical advances in the areas of bioseparations, nanotechnology, particle science and design, and reaction engineering.
- Each chapter focuses on a specific topic, providing detailed prospective on technical innovations and industrial applications.
- A broad coverage enables readers from different disciplines to adopt new techniques for their working practices.
This book is essential reading for postgraduates and academic researcher working in Chemical or Process Engineering, especially in the areas of fluid mechanics, particle science and biotechnology, catalysis and process systems engineering. It will be of interest to professional chemical engineers working in companies from the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and electronic industries and for any industries involving chemical processes.
1. The Art and Science of Upscaling (Pedro E. Arce, Michel Quintard and Stephen Whitaker).
2. Solubility of Gases in Polymeric Membranes (M. Giacinti Baschetti, M. G. De Angelis, F. Doghieri, G. C. Sarti).
3. Small Peptide Ligands for Affinity Separations of Biological Molecules (Guangquan Wang, Jeffrey R. Salm, Patrick V. Gurgel and Ruben G. Carbonell).
4. Bioprocess Scale–up: SMB as a promising technique for industrial separations using IMA (E.M. Del Valle, R. Gutierrez and M.A. Galan)
5. Opportunities in catalytic reaction engineering. Examples of heterogeneous catalysis in water remediation and preferential CO oxidation (J. Levec).
6. Design and analysis of homogeneous and heterogeneous photoreactors (A.E. Cassano and O.M. Alfano).
7. Development of nano–structured micro–porous materials and their application in bioprocess – chemical process intensification and tissue engineering (G. Akay, M.A. Bokhari, V.J. Byron, and M. Dogru).
8. The encapsulation art: scale–up and applications (M.A. Galán, C.A. Ruiz and E.M. Del Valle).
9. Continuous processes for fine coatings and membranes (Skip Scriven).
10. Langmuir–blodgett films: a window to nanotechnology (M.E. Diaz and R. Cerro).
11. Advances in process integration and supply change management (Ignacio Grossman).
12. Integration of Process Systems Engineering and Business Decision Making Tools: Financial Risk Management and Other Emerging Procedures (Miguel Bagajewicz).
" a book like this is refreshing because it allows an interested reader to take a casual stroll on the beach and collect shells––hopefully picking up a few that spark innovation." (The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, October 2006)