- Instruction on developing a curriculum for Residency training, teaching interviewing skills, teaching psychotherapy and using new technology
- Innovative ways of engaging medical students in psychiatry and developing their interest in the specialty, including experience with new types of elective and research options and development of roles for students in patient care
- Focuses throughout on how to teach rather than what to teach
- Includes descriptions of workplace–based assessments
- Discussions of both theoretical and practical perspectives and examples of particular innovations in the field using case studies
Presented in a thoroughly readable and accessible manner, this book is a primary resource for all clinicians involved in teaching psychiatry to medical students and trainees.
1 Overview: The Need for Improvements in Psychiatric Education (Linda Gask, David Baron and Bulent Coskun).
2 Recruitment of Psychiatrists: the Key Role of Education (Cyril H¨oschl and Jon van Niekerk).
3 Ethical Issues in Teaching Psychiatry (Driss Moussaoui).
4 Developing a Medical Student Curriculum in Psychiatry (Nisha Dogra, Cyril H¨oschl and Driss Moussaoui).
5 Teaching Behavioural Sciences (Bulent Coskun).
6 Problem–Based Learning and Psychiatric Education (Raja Vellingiri Badrakalimuthu, Rob van Diest, Maarten Bak and Hugo de Waal).
7 Psychiatric Residency Curriculum: Development and Evaluation (Amanda B. Mackey and Allan Tasman).
8 Acquisition of Psychiatric Interviewing Skills (Linda Gask).
9 Teaching Psychotherapy in the Classroom and in Supervision (Glen O. Gabbard).
10 Teaching Psychotherapy: Case Discussion Groups (Mark Oliver Evans).
11 Teaching Research Methods: ′Doing Your Own Research′ (David P. Goldberg).
12 Teaching Psychiatry Students About Cultural Diversity (Nisha Dogra and Niranjan Karnik).
13 Teaching Psychiatry in Primary Care (Linda Gask, Bulent Coskun and Rodolfo Fahrer).
14 The Standardized Patient (Michael Curtis and David Baron).
15 Patients as Teachers: Involving Service Users (Rex Haigh and Kath Lovell).
16 Technology for Psychiatric Educators (Sheldon Benjamin and Maria Margariti).
17 Assessment in Psychiatric Education (Brian Lunn, Maria R. Corral and Adriana Mihai).
18 The Support and Welfare of the Student (Michael F. Myers).
19 Psychiatrist Educators (David Baron and Bulent Coskun).