Cellular operators must now roll out new 3G technologies capable of delivering wireless Internet based multimedia services in a competitive and cost-effective way and this volume, divided into three parts, helps to explain how:
1. Provides an introduction to the complete evolution of GSM towards a radio access network that efficiently supports UMTS services (GERAN).
2. Features a comprehensive study of system performance with simulations and field trials. Covers all the major features such as basic GSM, GPRS, EDGE and AMR and the full capability of the GERAN radio interface for 3G service support is envisaged.
3. Discusses different 3G radio technologies and the position of GERAN within such technologies.
Featuring fully revised and updated chapters throughout, the second edition contains 90 pages of new material and features the following new sections, enabling this reference to remain as a leading text in the area:
- Expanded material on GPRS
- Includes IMS architecture (Rel’5) and GERAN (Rel’6) features
- Presents field trial results for AMR and narrowband
- Provides EGPRS deployment guidelines
- Features a new chapter on Service Performance
An invaluable reference for Engineering Professionals, Research and Development Engineers, Business Development Managers, Technical Managers and Technical Specialists working for cellular operators
PART 1: GERAN EVOLUTION.
1. GSM/EDGE Standards Evolution (up to Rel'4) (M. Hakaste, et al.).
2. Evolution of GERAN Standardisation (Rel'5, Rel'6 and beyond) (E. Nikula, et al.).
3. GERAN QoS Evolution Towards UMTS (E. Ala-Tauriala, et al.).
4. Mobile Station Location (M. Weckström, et al.).
PART 2: GSM, GPRS AND EDGE PERFORMANCE.
5. Basics of GSM Radio Communication and Spectral Efficiency (J. Melero, et al.).
6. GSM/AMR and SAIC Voice Performance (J. Melero, et al.).
7. GPRS and EGPRS Performance (J. Romero, et al.).
8. Packet Data Services and End-user Performance (G. Gomez, et al.).
9. Dynamic Frequency and Channel Allocation (M. Salmenkaita).
10. Narrowband Deployment (A. Rivada, et al.).
11. Link Performance Enhancements (R. Pirhonen, et al.).
12. Control Channels Performance and Dimensioning (T. Kähkönen & J. Navarro).
13. Automation and Optimisation (V. Wille, et al.).
PART 3: 3G EVOLUTION PATHS.
14. IMT-2000 3G Radio Access Technologies (J. Melero, et al.).
15. 3G Technology Strategy and Evolution Paths (J. Melero).
Appendix A: MAIO Management Limitations.
Appendix B: Hardware Dimensioning Studies.
Appendix C: Mapping Link Gain to Network Capacity Gain.
Appendix D: Interference between GSM/EDGE and Other Cellular Radio Technologies.
Appendix E: Simulation Tools.
Appendix F: Trial Partners.
Javier Romero Tartessos Technologies S.A. (TarTec), Spain.
Juan Melero Tartessos Technologies S.A. (TarTec), Spain.