Divided into three parts:
- Provides an introduction to the complete evolution of GSM towards a radio access network that efficiently supports UMTS services (GERAN).
- Features a comprehensive study of system performance with simulations a nd field trials.
- Discusses different 3G radio technologies and the position of GERAN within such technologies.
Written by leading experts in the field, this performance–oriented and practical approach to the GSM system and its evolution will have far–reaching appeal to Engineering Professionals and Research & Development Engineers. It will also be an instant hit with Technical staff and Management working for cellular operators.
Key updates of the Second Edition:
- Includes GERAN Rel′5 and Rel′6 functionality, including Single Antenna Interference Cancellation (SAIC)
- Expands the QoS chapter to cover end to end system aspects
- Presents field trial results for GPRS, AMR, SAIC and EDGE
- Provides EGPRS deployment guidelines in various deployment scenarios
- Features a new chapter on Service Performance"
PART 1: GERAN EVOLUTION.
1. GSM/EDGE Standards Evolution (up to Rel′4) (M. Hakaste, et al.).
2. Evolution of GERAN Standardisation (Rel′5, Rel′6 and beyond) (E. Nikula, et al.).
3. GERAN QoS Evolution Towards UMTS (E. Ala–Tauriala, et al.).
4. Mobile Station Location (M. Weckström, et al.).
PART 2: GSM, GPRS AND EDGE PERFORMANCE.
5. Basics of GSM Radio Communication and Spectral Efficiency (J. Melero, et al.).
6. GSM/AMR and SAIC Voice Performance (J. Melero, et al.).
7. GPRS and EGPRS Performance (J. Romero, et al.).
8. Packet Data Services and End–user Performance (G. Gomez, et al.).
9. Dynamic Frequency and Channel Allocation (M. Salmenkaita).
10. Narrowband Deployment (A. Rivada, et al.).
11. Link Performance Enhancements (R. Pirhonen, et al.).
12. Control Channels Performance and Dimensioning (T. Kähkönen & J. Navarro).
13. Automation and Optimisation (V. Wille, et al.).
PART 3: 3G EVOLUTION PATHS.
14. IMT–2000 3G Radio Access Technologies (J. Melero, et al.).
15. 3G Technology Strategy and Evolution Paths (J. Melero).
Appendix A: MAIO Management Limitations.
Appendix B: Hardware Dimensioning Studies.
Appendix C: Mapping Link Gain to Network Capacity Gain.
Appendix D: Interference between GSM/EDGE and Other Cellular Radio Technologies.
Appendix E: Simulation Tools.
Appendix F: Trial Partners.