With contributions from well–known experts, in both industry and academia, this book presents a comprehensive coverage of the mobile display in a single volume. Ranging from an in–depth analysis of the requirements that the displays must meet, through current devices, to emerging technologies, the text features:
- mobile environment and human–factor considerations for the display;
- advances in the incumbent active matrix liquid crystal display (AMLCD) technologies;
- backlighting and light manipulation techniques;
- mobile display driver electronics and interface technologies;
- emerging technologies including active matrix organic light emitting diode (AMOLED), electronic paper displays, and system–on–glass (SOG) developments;
- application developments in eyewear, mobile projector, and 3D displays.
Mobile Displays: Technology and Applications presents, in addition to the fundamentals, a detailed update on state–of–the–art advancements. It is an invaluable resource for practicing electronics and display engineers working on the development of mobile displays and their applications. It is also an extensive reference for graduates taking special courses in display technologies.
The Society for Information Display (SID) is an international society which has the aim of encouraging the development of all aspects of the field of information display. Complementary to the aims of the society the Wiley–SID series is intended to explain the latest developments in information display technology at a professional level. The broad scope of the series addresses all facets of information displays from technical aspects through systems and prototypes to standards and ergonomics.
List of Contributors.
Series Editor′s Foreword.
1. Introduction to Mobile Displays (Zili Li, Achintya K. Bhowmik, and Philip J. Bos).
2. Human Factors Considerations: Seeing Information on a Mobile Display (Jim Larimer).
3. Advanced Mobile Display Technology (Kee–Han Uh and Seon–Hong Ahn).
4. In–Plane Switching (IPS) LCD Technology for Mobile Application (InJae Chung and Hyungki Hong).
5. Transflective Liquid Crystal Display Technologies (Xinyu Zhu, Zhibing Ge, and Shin–Tson Wu).
6. Wide Viewing Angle and High Brightness Liquid Crystal Displays Incorporating Birefringent Compensators and Energy–Efficient Backlight (Claire Gu, Pochi Yeh, Xingpeng Yang and Guofan Jin).
7. Backlighting of Mobile Displays (Philip Watson and Gary T. Boyd).
8. LED Backlighting of LCDs in Mobile Appliances (Josef Hüttner, Gerhard Kuhn and Matthias Winter).
9. Advances in Mobile Display Driver Electronics (James E. Schuessler).
10. Mobile Display Digital Interface (MDDI) (George A. Wiley, Brian Steele, Salman Saeed, and Glenn Raskin).
11. MIPI High–Speed Serial Interface Standard for Mobile Displays (Richard Lawrence).
12. Image Reconstruction on Color Subpixelated Displays (Candice H. Brown Elliott).
13. Recent SOG (System–on–Glass) Development Based on LTPS Technology (Tohru Nishibe and Hiroki Nakamura).
14. Advances in AMOLED Technologies (Y.–M. Alan Tsai, James Chang, D.Z. Peng, Vincent Tseng, Alex Lin, L.J. Chen and Poyen Lu).
15. Electronic Paper Displays (Robert Zehner).
16. Reflective Cholesteric Liquid Crystal Displays (Deng–Ke Yang).
17. BiNem® Displays: From Principles to Applications (Jacques Angelé, Cécile Joubert, Ivan Dozov, Thierry Emeraud, Stéphane Joly, Philippe Martinot–Lagarde, Jean–Denis Laffitte, François Leblanc, Jesper Osterman, Terry Scheffer, Daniel Stoenescu).
18. Electrowetting Displays for Mobile Multimedia Applications (Johan Feenstra).
19. 3D Displays for Portable Handheld Devices (Adrian Travis).
20. Eye–Wear Displays (Paul Travers).
21. Mobile Projectors Using Scanned Beam Displays (Randy Sprague, Mark Champion, Margaret Brown, Dean Brown, Mark Freeman, Maarten Niesten).
22. Plastic Backplane Technology for Mobile Displays (Cathy J. Curling and Seamus E. Burns).