The field of photonics is finding increasing applications across a broad range of industries. While many other books provide an overview of the subject, Fundamentals of Light Sources and Lasers closes a clear gap in the current literature by concentrating on the principles of laser operation as well as providing coverage of important concepts necessary to fully understand the principles involved. The scope of the book includes everything a professional needs to get up to speed in the field, as well as all the material necessary to serve as an excellent introductory laser course for students.
Ideal for self–study as well as structured coursework, the book offers thorough coverage of:
- The nature of light and atomic emission
- Basic quantum mechanics and laser processes
- Cavity optics, fast–pulse production, and nonlinear optical phenomena
- Laser technology, including visible gas lasers, UV gas lasers, infrared gas lasers, solid–state lasers, semiconductor lasers and tunable dye lasers
Extensive real–world case studies are included to help readers appreciate the practical applications of the material covered.
1. Light and Blackbody Emission.
2. Atomic Emission.
3. Quantum Mechanics.
4. Lasing Action.
5. Lasing Transitions and Gain.
6. Cavity Optics.
7. Fast–Pulse Production.
8. Nonlinear Optics.
9. Visible Gas Lasers.
10. UV Gas Lasers.
11. Infrared Gas Lasers.
12. Solid–State Lasers.
13. Semiconductor Lasers.
14. Tunable Dye Lasers.
"…the book does serve as a good introduction…" (CHOICE, April 2005)
“…provides a comprehensive introduction to lasers…” (Materials Today, October 2004)