Comprehensive and practical but not overly technical, this expanded edition of the standard reference helps plastics engineers, product designers, laboratory managers and technicians, quality assurance engineers, and others capitalize on powerful new analytical instruments and advanced techniques for plastics testing. Complete with case studies, this reference covers all aspects of plastics testing, failure analysis, and quality assurance and includes:
- The hows and whys of product testing and detailed coverage of current ways data is collected, displayed, and analyzed
- Step–by–step procedures and in–depth coverage of failure analysis, which is vital due to increased product liability litigation
- More than 200 illustrations and 40 tables that clarify and consolidate information
- A substantial appendix that lists testing labs, equipment suppliers, and more
- A DVD with a video tour of a plastics testing laboratory
Handbook of Plastics Testing and Failure Analysis, Third Edition is a hands–on reference for professionals involved in plastics manufacturing, research, design testing, and failure analysis, and provides a practical introduction and overview for students in a variety of courses.
Preface to Third Edition.
Preface to Second Edition.
Preface to First Edition.
1 Basic Concepts in Advancement and Testing Technology.
2 Mechanical Properties.
3 Thermal Properties.
4 Electrical Properties.
5 Weathering Properties.
6 Optical Properties.
7 Material Characterization Tests.
9 Chemical Properties.
10 Analytical Tests.
11 Conditioning Properties.
12 Miscellaneous Tests.
13 Identifi cation Analysis of Plastic Materials.
14 Testing of Foam Plastics.
15 Failure Analysis.
16 Quality Control.
17 Product Liabilities and Testing.
18 Nondestructive Testing and Measurements.
19 Professional and Testing Organizations.
20 Uniform Global Testing Standards.
Appendix A: Index of Equipment Manufacturers.
Appendix B: Abbreviations: Polymeric Materials.
Appendix C: Glossary.
Appendix D: Trade Names.
Appendix E: Standards Organizations.
Appendix F: Trade Publications.
Appendix G: Independent Testing Laboratories.
Appendix H: Specifi cations.
Appendix I: Charts and Tables.
Appendix J: Plastic / Polymer Educational Programs in the United States and Canada.
Appendix K: Figure 15–5. New Application Checklist.