The first book to collect the most effective and cutting–edge methods and protocols for deriving and culturing human embryonic and adult stem cells in one handy resource
This groundbreaking new book follows the tradition of previous books in the Culture of Specialized Cells series each methods and protocols chapter is laid out exactly like the next, with stepwise protocols, preceded by specific requirements for that protocol, and a concise discussion of methods illustrated by data. The editors describe a limited number of representative techniques across a wide spectrum of stem cells from embryonic, newborn, and adult tissue, yielding an all–encompassing and versatile guide to the field of stem cell biology and culture.
Culture of Human Stem Cells includes a comprehensive list of suppliers for all equipment used in the protocols presented, with Web sites available in an appendix. Additionally, there is a chapter on quality control, and other chapters covering legal and ethical issues, cryopreservation, and feeder layer culture. Culture of Human Stem Cells is a one–stop resource for all researchers, clinical scientists, teachers, and students involved in this crucial area of study.
List of Contributors.
1. Quality Control Procedures for Stem Cell Lines (Glyn N. Stacey and Jonathan M. Auerbach).
2. Human Embryonal Stem Cell Lines: Derivation and Culture (Jessica A. Cooke and Stephen L. Minger).
3. Techniques for Neural Differentiation of Human EC and ES Cells (Jamie P Jackson, Peter D Tonge and Peter W Andrews).
4. Cardiomyocyte Differentiation in Human ES Cells (Christine Mummery).
5. Culture of the Human Germ Cell Lineage (Lee Turnpenny and Neil A Hanley).
6. Derivation and Culture of Human Embryonal Carcinoma Stem Cell Lines (Stefan Przyborski).
7. Culture of Umbilical Cord– and Cord Blood–Derived Stem Cells (Young–Jin Kim).
8. Multipotent Stem Cells in Dental Pulp (Wataru Sonoyama, Takayoshi Yamaza, Stan Gronthos, and Songtao Shi).
9. Fundamentals of Culture and Characterization of Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells (MSCs) from Bone Marrow Stroma (Carl A. Gregory and Darwin J. Prockop).
10. Isolation, Characterization, and Culture of Soft Connective Tissue Stem/Progenitor Cells (Charles W Archer, Sarah Oldfield, Samantha Redman, Laura Haughton, Gary Dowthwaite, Ilyas Khan and Jim Ralphs).
11. Culture of Human Corneal Stem Cells (Yiqin Du and James L. Funderburgh).
12. Culturing Mammary Stem Cells (Mark A. LaBarge, Ole W. Petersen, and Mina J. Bissell).
13. Tissue Culture of Adipose–Derived Stem Cells (Kristine M. Safford and Henry E. Rice).
"Valuable to those entering the field from a wide spectrum of disciplines an essential textbook for teachers and students who are involved with the therapeutic potential of stem cell research." (SirReadaLot.org, October 2007)
"The principal value of this book lies in the diversity of topics. In addition to chapters on embryonic stem (ES) cells, interesting chapters cover the derivation of multipotential stem cells from mammary tissue, dental pulp, cornea, cord blood, and adipose tissue." (Doody′s)