Donald P. Gallo, a board–certified clinical psychologist, shares his professional insights and expertise garnered from more than 1,500 autism evaluations over the past ten years. The book includes in–depth interviewing strategies that focus on the three primary areas of impairment socialization, communication, and behavior to determine if an individual has an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Differential diagnostic considerations are also addressed, and numerous case examples provide further clarity. Ways to present the assessment findings to parents and patients that will help them accept the diagnosis are also included. The information is targeted specifically for a wide range of practitioners, including child psychologists, child psychiatrists, speech pathologists, occupational therapists, paediatricians, paediatric neurologists, and students in those disciplines.
Authoritative and timely, Diagnosing Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifespan Perspective provides medical and mental health professionals everywhere with an invaluable resource for the proper diagnoses and assessment of an exceedingly complex disorder which affects people of all ages.
About the Author.
1. A Brief Look at the History of Autism.
2. The Importance of the Autism Referral.
3. How to Conduct the Evaluation.
4. Information to Gather at the Outset of the Evaluation.
5. Diagnostic Criteria for the Autism Spectrum Disorders.
6. The Main Problem Areas of Autism: Social Impairment.
7. The Main Problem Areas of Autism: Language Impairment.
8. The Main Problem Areas of Autism: Behavioral Concerns.
9. Additional Questions to be Asked when Interviewing Teens.
10. Additional Questions to be Asked when Interviewing Adults.
11. Other Important Factors to Take into Consideration.
12. Differential Diagnosis through the Lifespan.
13. Feedback for the Patient and Family/Parents.
Appendix A: Sample Copy of My Screening Questionnaire.
Appendix B: Sample Copies of Reports.
Gallo is a psychologist for Kaiser–Permanente s Autism Spectrum Disorders Diagnostic Service in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles. Dr Gallo is board certified in Clinical Psychology by the American Board of Professional Psychology and maintains a private practice in Woodland Hills, California.