A service is typically something created to serve a paying customer, whether internal or external. Some services consist of several processes linked together while others consist of a single process.
This book introduces Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), an easy–to–master, yet highly effective data–driven method that prevents defects in any type of service process. The particular focus of this publication is service DFSS, which leads to what the authors term "a whole quality business," one that takes a proactive stance and gets things right the first time. Not only does the whole quality business produce a high–quality product and offer high–quality services, but it also operates at lower cost and higher efficiency, throughout the entire life cycle, than its competitors because all the links in the supply chain are optimized.
Following a detailed overview that sets forth the basic premise and key concepts of service DFSS, the authors offer all the information and tools needed to take advantage of service DFSS within their own organizations, including:
- Clear and in–depth coverage of the philosophical, organizational, and technical aspects of service DFSS
- Step–by–step roadmap of the entire service DFSS deployment and execution process
- Full discussions of all the key methods involved in service DFSS, including axiomatic design, design for X, the theory of inventive problem solving (TRIZ), transfer function, design scorecards, and Taguchi′s method
- Practical, illustrative examples that demonstrate how the theory is put into practice
- Assistance in developing the necessary skills in applying DFSS in organizational settings
Problems and their solutions are provided at the end of each chapter to help readers grasp the key concepts they need to move forward in the text. Acclaro DFSS Light®, a Java–based software package that implements axiomatic design processes discussed in Chapter Eight, is available for download from an accompanying Wiley ftp site. Acclaro DFSS Light® is a software product of Axiomatic Design Solutions, Inc.
This book is ideal as a reference to service DFSS for corporate executives, quality control managers, and process engineers, or as a complete training manual for DFSS teams. It is also a superior textbook for graduate students in management, operations, and quality assurance.
2. What is Six Sigma.
3. Introduction to Service Design for Six Sigma.
4. Service Design for Six Sigma Deployment.
5. Service DFSS Project Road Map.
6. Service DFSS Transfer Function and Scorecards.
7. Quality Function Deployment (QFD).
8. Process Modeling and Process Management.
9. Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (TRIZ) for Services.
10. Introduction to Design for Transactional DFX.
11. Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA).
12. Fundamentals of Experimental Design.
13. Service Design Robustness.
14. Discrete Event Simulation.
15. Design Validation.
16. Supply Chain Process.
17. DFSS in Supply Chain Example.
DAVID M. ROY is Vice President of Textron Six Sigma at the Systems Division of Textron. Mr. Roy has extensive experience in Six Sigma in over fifteen businesses and has held senior leadership positions in the areas of full supply chain, Six Sigma, and business transformation.