While both vacuum and solid–state electronics continue to evolve and provide unique solutions, emerging commercial and military applications that call for higher power and higher frequencies to accommodate massive volumes of transmitted data are the natural domain of vacuum electronics technology. Modern Microwave and Millimeter–Wave Power Electronics provides systems designers, engineers, and researchers especially those with primarily solid–state training with a thoroughly up–to–date survey of the rich field of microwave vacuum electronic device (MVED) technology.
This book familiarizes the R&D and academic communities with the capabilities and limitations of MVED and highlights the exciting scientific breakthroughs of the past decade that are dramatically increasing the compactness, efficiency, cost–effectiveness, and reliability of this entire class of devices.
This comprehensive text explores a wide range of topics:
- Traveling–wave tubes, which form the backbone of satellite and airborne communications, as well as of military electronic countermeasures systems
- Microfabricated MVEDs and advanced electron beam sources
- Klystrons, gyro–amplifiers, and crossed–field devices
- "Virtual prototyping" of MVEDs via advanced 3–D computational models
- High–Power Microwave (HPM) sources
- Next–generation microwave structures and circuits
- How to achieve linear amplification
- Advanced materials technologies for MVEDs
- A Web site appendix providing a step–by–step walk–through of a typical MVED design process
Concluding with an in–depth examination of emerging applications and future possibilities for MVEDs, Modern Microwave and Millimeter–Wave Power Electronics ensures that systems designers and engineers understand and utilize the significant potential of this mature, yet continually developing technology.
SPECIAL NOTE: All of the editors′ royalties realized from the sale of this book will fund the future research and publication activities of graduate students in the vacuum electronics field.
Foreword by Baruch Levush.
List of Contributors.
List of Acronyms and Abbreviations.
Chapter 1. Introduction and Overview.
Chapter 2. Historical Highlights.
Chapter 3. Klystrons.
Chapter 4. Traveling Waves Tubes (TWTs).
Chapter 5. Gyro–Amplifiers.
Chapter 6. Crossed–Field Devices.
Chapter 7. Microfabricated MVEDs.
Chapter 8. Advanced Electron Beam Sources.
Chapter 9. How to Achieve Linear Amplification.
Chapter 10. Computational Modeling.
Chapter 11. Next–Generation Microwave Structures and Circuits.
Chapter 12. Advanced Materials Technologies for MVEDs.
Chapter 13. High Power Microwave (HPM) Sources.
Chapter 14. Affordable Manufacturing.
Chapter 15. Emerging Applications and Future Possibilities.
About the Editors.