The general goals of the cardiac workshop of which this volume is the proceedings were to (1) foster interdisciplinary interaction between leading world scientists and clinical cardiologists so as to identify "black holes" and catalyze new research ideas; (2) relate basic micro–scale, molecular, and subcellular phenomena to the clinically manifested cardiac performance; (3) apply conceptual modeling and quantitative analysis to better explore, describe, and understand cardiac physiology; (4) interpret available clinical data and design new revealing experiments; and (5) enhance international cooperation in the search for the secrets of life and their implications in cardiac pathophysiology.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit [external URL] />
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order ([external URL] Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full–text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit [external URL] for more information about becoming a member.
Part I: Development and Genetics:.
1. Functional Studies of Individual Myosin Molecules: Jody A. Dantzig, Tim Y. Liu, and Yale E. Goldman.
2. Recruitment of New Cells into the Postnatal Heart. Potential Modification of Phenotype by Periostin: Richard P. Visconti and Roger R. Markwald.
3. Cell–Based Approaches for Cardiac Repair: Michael Rubart and Loren J. Field.
4. The Unstoppable Connexin43 Carboxyl–Terminus. New Roles in Gap Junction Organization and Wound Healing: Robert G. Gourdie, Gautam S. Ghatnekar, Michael O′Quinn, Matthew J. Rhett, Ralph J. Barker, Ching Zhu, Jane Jourdan, and Andrew W. Hunter.
5. The Developing Cardiac Myocyte. Maturation of Excitability and Excitation Contraction Coupling: Elizabeth A. Schroder, Yidong Wei, and Jonathan Satin.
6. Dynamic Interactions between Myocytes, Fibroblasts, and Extracellular Matrix: Indroneal Banerjee, Krishna Yekkala, Thomas K. Borg, and Troy A. Baudino.
7. Embryonic Heart Induction: Ann C. Foley, Ruchika W. Gupta, Rosa M. Guzzo, Oksana Korol, and Mark Mercola.
8. The Role of Basic Leucine Zipper Protein–Mediated Transcription in Physiological and Pathological Myocardial Hypertrophy: Izhak Kehat, Tal Hasin, and Ami Aronheim.
Part II: Mechanochemical Interactions:.
9. Hypertrophy and Atrophy of the Heart. The Other Side of Remodeling: Peter Razeghi and Heinrich Taegtmeyer.
10. Role of Cellular Compartmentation in the Metabolic Response to Stress. Mechanistic Insights from Computational Models: Lufang Zhou, Xin Yu, Marco E. Cabrera, and William C. Stanley.
11. Maintenance of the Metabolic Homeostasis of the Heart. Developing a Systems Analysis Approach: Robert S. Balaban.
Part III: Electrochemical Interactions:.
12. Diversity of Ca2+ Signaling in Developing Cardiac Cells: Einsley Janowski, Lars Cleemann, Philipp Sasse, and Martin Morad.
13. Regulation of Ca2+ and Na+ in Normal and Failing Cardiac Myocytes: Donald M. Bers, Sanda Despa, and Julie Bossuyt.
14. The Integration of Spontaneous Intracellular Ca2+ Cycling and Surface Membrane Ion Channel Activation Entrains Normal Automaticity in Cells of the Heart′s Pacemaker: Edward G. Lakatta, Tatiana Vinogradova, Alexey Lyashkov, Syevda Sirenko, Weizong Zhu, Abdul Ruknudin, and Victor A. Maltsev.
15. Calcium Handling in Embryonic Stem Cell Derived Cardiac Myocytes. Of Mice and Men: Ilanit Itzhaki, Jackie Schiller, Rafael Beyar, Jonathan Satin, and Lior Gepstein.
16. Cellular Alternans. A Mechanism Linking Calcium Cycling Proteins to Cardiac Arrhythmogenesis: Lance D. Wilson, Xiaoping Wan, and David S. Rosenbaum.
Part IV: Electromechanical Interactions:.
17. The Mechanoelectric Feedback: A Novel "Calcium Clamp" Method, Using Tetanic Contraction, for Testing the Role of the Intracellular Free Calcium: Yael Yaniv, Carmit Levy, and Amir Landesberg.
18. Role of Sarcomere Mechanics and Ca2+ Overload in Ca2+ Waves and Arrhythmias in Rat Cardiac Muscle: Henk E.D.J. Ter Keurs, Yuji Wakayama, Yoshinao Sugai, Guy Price, Yutaka Kagaya, Penelope A. Boyden, Masahito Miura, and Bruno D.M. Stuyvers.
19. Cellular Basis for the Repolarization Waves of the ECG: Charles Antzelevitch.
20. Mechanosensitive–Mediated Interaction, Integration, and Cardiac Control: Max J. Lab.
21. Three–Dimensional Models of Individual Cardiac Histoanatomy: Tools and Challenges: Rebecca A.B. Burton, Gernot Plank, Jürgen E. Schneider, Vicente Grau, Helmut Ahammer, Stephen L. Keeling, Jack Lee, Nicolas P. Smith, David Gavaghan, Natalia Trayanova, and Peter Kohl.
22. Cardiac Defibrillation and the Role of Mechanoelectric Feedback in Postshock Arrhythmogenesis: Viatcheslav Gurev, Mary M. Maleckar, and Natalia A. Trayanova.
Part V: Integrated Models and Analysis:.
23. Modeling Cardiac Electrical Activity at the Cell and Tissue Levels: Travis M. Austin, Darren A. Hooks, Peter J. Hunter, David P. Nickerson, Andrew J. Pullan, Gregory B. Sands, Bruce H. Smaill, and Mark L. Trew.
24. Cardiac –Adrenergic Signaling. From Subcellular Microdomains to Heart Failure: Jeffrey J. Saucerman and Andrew D. McCulloch.
25. Multiscale Modeling of Calcium Signaling in the Cardiac Dyad: Raimond L. Winslow, Antti Tanskanen, Mindao Chen, and Joseph L. Greenstein.
26. Nonlinear Dynamics of Paced Cardiac Cells: Yohannes Shiferaw, Zhilin Qu, Alan Garfinkel, Alain Karma, and James N. Weiss.
27. Modeling Cardiac Ischemia: Blanca Rodríguez, Natalia Trayanova, and Denis Noble.
Part VI: Novel Therapeutics:.
28. Cardiovascular Therapeutic Aspects of Cell Therapy and Stem Cells: Lior Gepstein.
29. Adenylyl Cyclase Gene Transfer in Heart Failure: H. Kirk Hammond.
30. Genetic Engineering and Therapy for Inherited and Acquired Cardiomyopathies: Sharlene Day, Jennifer Davis, Margaret Westfall, and Joseph Metzger.
31. Nanomedicine Opportunities in Cardiology: Gregory Lanza, Patrick Winter, Tillmann Cyrus, Shelton Caruthers, Jon Marsh, Michael Hughes, and Samuel Wickline.
32. Effects of Synchronized Cardiac Assist Device on Cardiac Energetics: Amir Landesberg, Avshalom Shenhav, Rona Shofty, Eugene Konyukhov, Carmit Levy, Oscar Lichtenstein, Rafael Beyar, Henk E.D.J. Ter Keurs, Giora Landesberg, Marco Cabrera, William Stanley, and Gerald M. Saidel.
Index of Contributors.