Invited chapters focus on the field of endometrial preparation for embryonization, trophoblast capability to implant into maternal endometrial tissue, and evidence–based medicine to improve embryos' implantation and reduce recurrent abortion.
A report on human reproduction efficiencies through assisted reproductive technologies is presented as a review by both Europeans and Americans.
Among the major issues explored in this volume is the pelvic factor of sterility, endometriosis, miomas, and their medical and surgical treatments according to the principles of evidence–based medicine and evidence–based surgery.
Another important issue that is discussed is the possibility of building an artificial uterus using cellular biology (artificial endometrium), transplantation techniques (human uterus transplantation), and transplantation. Evidence–based strategies to prevent premature parturition concludes this section.
Surgical management of reproductive organs using the most up–to–date techniques is also be reported on, and particular attention is given to stem cells in gametes and embryonic stem cells.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit [external URL]
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order ([external URL] Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full–text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit [external URL] for more information about becoming a member.
Part I: Ovarian and Oocyte Function: Current Concepts and Perspectives:.
1. The Ovary: Anatomy and Function throughout Human Life: Ozgur Oktem and Kutluk Oktay.
2. Pharmacogenetics in Ovarian Stimulation: Current Concepts: Dimitris Loutradis, Antonis Anastasios Vlismas, and Petros Drakakis.
3. Stem Cells: A Perspective on Oocytes: Ozgur Oktem and Kutluk Oktay.
4. Ovarian Reserve: Maria Elisabetta Coccia and Francesca Rizzello.
Part II: Update of Assisted Reproductive Technology:.
5. Pretreatments before the Induction of Ovulation in Assisted Reproduction Technologies: Evidence–based Medicine in 2007: Jason Gabriel Bromer, Mehmet Bilge Cetinkaya, and Aydin Arici.
6. An Update of ART Results in the United States: Queenie V. Neri, Takumi Takeuchi, and Gianpiero D. Palermo.
7. Clinical Efficiency of Oocyte and Embryo Cryopreservation: Andrea Borini, Monica Cattoli, Carlo Bulletti and Giovanni Coticchio.
Part III: Advances in the Assessment of Male Gamete Function:.
8. Modern Andrology: From Semen Analysis to Post–genomic Studies of the Male Gametes: Pasquale Patrizio, Fabio Sanguineti, and Denny Sakkas.
9. Male Gamete Empowerment: Takumi Takeuchi, Queenie V. Neri, and Gianpiero D. Palermo.
Part IV: Uterine Function: Preeclampsia, Infertility, and Transplantation:.
10. Decidual Cell–expressed Tissue Factor in Human Pregnancy and Its Involvement in Hemostasis and Preeclampsia–related Angiogenesis: Charles J. Lockwood, Graciela Krikun, Rebeca Caze, Mizanur Rahman, Lynn F. Buchwalder, and Frederick Schatz.
11. The Pelvic Factor of Infertility: Diagnosis and Prognosis of Various Procedures: Carlo Bulletti, I. Panzini, A. Borini, E. Coccia, Paolo Levi Setti, and Antonio Alagiano.
12. Uterus Transplant: Evidence and Ethics: Anjana Nair, Jeanetta Stega, J. Richard Smith, and Giuseppe Del Priore.
Part V: Pathogenesis and Interventions in Endometriosis:.
13. Endometriosis and Infertility: Epidemiology and Evidence–Based Treatments: Sebiha Ozkan, William Murk, and Aydin Arici.
14. Endometriosis and Tissue Factor: Graciela Krikun, Frederick Schatz, Hugh Taylor, and Charles J. Lockwood.
15. Stem Cells and the Pathogenesis of Endometriosis: Isaac E. Sasson and Hugh S. Taylor.
Part VI: Implantation and the Role of the Placenta in the Immunology of Pregnancy:.
16. Bioinformatics and Transcriptomics Studies of Early Implantation: John D.Alplin and Harmeet Singh.
17. Inflammation and Pregnancy: The Role of TLRs in Trophoblast Immune Interaction: Gil Mor.
18. The Placental Syncytium and the Pathophysiology of Preeclampsia and Intrauterine Growth Restriction: A Novel Assay to Assess Syncytial Protein Expression: Seth Guller, Yula Y. Ma, Han–Hsuan Fu, Graciela Krikun, Vikki M. Abrahams, and Gil Mor.
Part VII: Medical Intervention and the Endocrinology of Menopause, Obesity, and Pain Management:.
19. The Medical Management of the Menopause: To Treat or Not to Treat?: David H. Barlow.
20. Reproductive Endocrinology and Clinical Aspects of Obesity in Women: Mostafa Metwally, William L. Ledger, and Tin Chiu Li.
21. The Analgesic Effect of Betamethasone Administered to Day–care Patients before Conscious Sedation in Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery: Maria C. Pace, Caterina Aurilio, Mario Iannotti, Maria B. Passavanti, Carlo Bulletti , Leonardo Pace, Massimo Maisto, Pasquale Sansone, and Antonio Palagiano