This volume features key presentations from the 6th International Congress of Autoimmunity. The International Congress of Autoimmunity has become established as one of the major meetings in the field of immunology, with presentations covering every aspect of basic research in the hopes of clarifying pathogenesis of autoimmune disease as well as providing information on the latest innovations in biological and other modes of treatment. The goal of this volume is to present cutting edge research that focuses in particular on newer diagnostic tools and newer therapies for human autoimmune disease.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal.
1. Do We Need Autoimmune Disease Units in Hospitals?
2. Autoantibody Standardization in the Netherlands : The Past, the Present, and the Future.
3. Evaluation of a New ELISA Assay for Detection of BP230 Autoantibodies in Bullous Pemphigoid.
4. Accuracy of the First Fully Automated Method for Anti-cardiolipin and Anti-2 Glycoprotein I Antibody Detection for the Diagnosis of Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
5. New Developments in Serodiagnosis of Childhood Celiac Disease : Assay of Antibodies against Deamidated Gliadin.
6. Celiac G+ Antibody Assay for the Detection of Autoantibodies in Celiac Disease.
7. High-sensitivity Detection of Autoantibodies Against Proteinase-3 by a Novel Third-generation Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay.
8. Anti-C1q Autoantibodies in Lupus Nephritis.
9. Seronegative Autoimmune Diseases.
10. Correlation Between Clinical Activity and Serological Markers in a Wide Cohort of Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus : An Eight-year Prospective Study.
11. Circulating Cardiac Troponin-I Autoantibodies in Human Plasma and Serum.
12. Choroid Plexus Connexin 43 Expression and Gap Junction Flexibility Are Associated with Clinical Features of Acute EAE.
13. Autoantigens Identified by Screening a Human Heart cDNA Library with Acute Rheumatic Fever Sera.
14. Optimization of High-throughput Autoantibody Profiling for the Discovery of Novel Antigenic Targets in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
15. White Blood Cell Count Abnormalities and Infections in One-year Follow-up of 124 Patients with SLE.
16. Clinical Significance of Complement Deficiencies.
17. An Italian Multicenter Study for Application of a Diagnostic Algorithm in Autoantibody Testing.
18. Antibodies to Neurofilaments : Clinical and Immunogenetic Associations in Down Syndrome.
19. Possible Involvement of Chemokine-induced Platelet Activation in Thrombophilic Diathesis of Antiphospholipid Syndrome : An Attractive Target for the NF-B–specific Inhibitor DHMEQ.
20. Prevalence of Anticardiolipin Antibodies in Patient Cohorts with Distinct Clinical Manifestations of the Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
21. Characterization of Antibodies Directed against the Immunoglobulin Light Chain Variable Chain Region (VK) of Hepatitis C Virus-Related Type-II Mixed Cryoglobulinemia and B-Cell Proliferations.
22. DNA-Bound Lactoferrin Is the Major Target for Antineutrophil Perinuclear Cytoplasmic Antibodies in Ulcerative Colitis.
23. Autoantibody Detection Using Indirect Immunofluorescence on HEp-2 Cells.
24. Autoantibody Screen in Inflammatory Myopathies High Prevalence of Antibodies to Gliadin.
25. High Sensitive Detection of Double-Stranded DNA Autoantibodies by a Modified Crithidia luciliae Immunofluorescence Test.
26. The Incidence of Celiac Disease Antibodies in Plasma Specimens with Low Hemoglobin Levels.
27. Development of Recombinant Human IgA for Anticardiolipin Antibodies Assay Standardization.
28. Pneumatosis Intestinalis Presenting in Autoimmune Diseases : A Report of Three Patients.
29. Autoimmune Bullous Dermatoses: A Review.
30. Autoimmune Thyroid Disease and Autoimmune Rheumatic Disorders : A Two-sided Analysis.
31. Cognitive Functioning in Behçet's Disease.
32. Alexithymia in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patients.
33. Anti-C1q Antibodies in Juvenile-Onset Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
34. A New Year in Autoimmunity.
35. Relevance of Anti-C1q Autoantibodies to Lupus Nephritis.
Part II. Effector Mechanisms in Autoimmune Disease.
36. Dysregulation of the Vitamin D Nuclear Receptor May Contribute to the Higher Prevalence of Some Autoimmune Diseases in Women.
37. Regulatory B Cells in Autoimmune Diseases : How Do They Work?
38. B-Lymphocyte Stimulator and a Proliferation-Inducing Ligand Serum Levels in IgA-Deficient Patients With and Without Celiac Disease.
39. The IgM Response to Modified LDL in Experimental Atherosclerosis : Hypochlorite-modified LDL IgM Antibodies versus Classical Natural T15 IgM Antibodies.
40. IL-10 Production by B Cells Expressing CD5 with the Alternative Exon 1B.
41. Cytokines and Anxiety in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) Patients Not Receiving Antidepressant Medication : A Little-explored Frontier and Some of Its Brief History.
42. Natural Antibodies against Phosphorylcholine in Cardiovascular Disease.
43. IL-18 Activity in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
44. CXCR3, Inflammation, and Autoimmune Diseases.
45. IL-6 during Viral-induced Chronic Autoimmune Myocarditis : Is It Protective or Pathogenic?
46. Clonal CD27+ CD19+ B Cell Expansion through Inhibition of FCIIR in HCV+ Cryoglobulinemic Patients : A Model.
47. Alterations in Cytokine Profile and Dendritic Cells Subsets in Peripheral Blood of Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients before and after Biologic Therapy.
48. Gluten Sensitivity in Multiple Sclerosis : Experimental Myth or Clinical Truth?
49. Chemokines as Novel Therapeutic Targets for Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
50. Galectin-10, Eosinophils, and Celiac Disease.
51. Defensins in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
52. Distribution of the NF-B Complex in the Inflammatory Exudates Characterizing the Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies.
53. Sex Differences in a Murine Model of Sjögren's Syndrome.
54. Vitamin D Metabolites as Clinical Markers in Autoimmune and Chronic Disease.
55. Immmunopathogenesis of Rheumatoid Arthritis : Induction of Arthritogenic Autoimmune Responses by Proinflammatory Stimuli.
56. Humoral Mechanisms of Atherogenesis.
57. Microparticles and the Hygiene Hypothesis.
58. Hyperactivity Induced by Antiphospholipid Syndrome Serum.
59. Complement Cascade in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Analyses of the Three Activation Pathways.
60. The Role of iNKT Cells in the Immunopathology of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
61. Autoimmunity Triggers in the NOD Mouse: A Role for Natural Auto-antibody Reactivities in Type 1 Diabetes.
62. Oversecretion of Cytokines and Chemokines in Lupus Nephritis Is Regulated by Intraparenchymal Dendritic Cells: A Review.
63. Toll-like Receptors in Multiple Sclerosis Mouse Experimental Models.
64. A Dual Role for HSP90 and HSP70 in the Inflammatory Myopathies: From Muscle Fiber Protection to Active Invasion by Macrophages.
65. NGF and Its Receptor System: A New Dimension in the Pathogenesis of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis.
66. Effector Functions of Antiaquaporin-4 Autoantibodies in Neuromyelitis Optica.
67. Preventing Viral-induced Type 1 Diabetes : Are Regulatory T Cells the Answer?
Part III. Genetic Considerations and Autoimmune Susceptibility.
68. Shared and Unique Gene Expression in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Depending on Disease Activity.
69. Association of Polymorphisms in Interleukin-10 Gene Promoter with Autoantibody Production in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
70. Val/Leu247 Polymorphism of 2-glycoprotein I in Brazilian Patients with Antiphospholipid Syndrome - A Genetic Risk Factor?
71. Association Study on Two Vitamin D Receptor Gene Polymorphisms and Vitamin D Metabolites in Multiple Sclerosis.
72. Genetic Susceptibility Loci in Rheumatoid Arthritis Establish Transcriptional Regulatory Networks with Other Genes.
73. Genetic and Epigenetic Control of the Major Histocompatibility Complex Class Ib Gene HLA-G in Trophoblast Cell Lines.
74. Human Leukocyte Antigen-DRB1 and -DQB1 Genotyping in Lupus Patients with and without Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
75. Race Differences in Immunogenetic Features and Photosensitivity of Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosus from the Aspect of Japanese Studies.
76. TNF- Polymorphisms in Primary Biliary Cirrhosis: A Northern and Southern Italian Experience.
77. HLA-B27 and HLA-B51 Determination in Tunisian Healthy Subjects and Patients with Suspected Ankylosing Spondylitis and Behçet's Disease.
78. HLA-B27 Transgenic Rat : An Animal Model Mimicking Gut and Joint Involvement in Human Spondyloarthritides.
79. HLA in Portuguese Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Patients and Their Relation to Clinical Features.
80. Ankylosing Spondylitis Susceptibility and Severity - Contribution of TNF Gene Promoter Polymorphisms at Positions –238 and –308.
81. Autoantibodies, Polymorphisms in the Serotonin Pathway, and Human Leukocyte Antigen Class II Alleles in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Are They Associated with Age at Onset and Specific Symptoms?
Part IV. Infections and Autoimmunity.
82. Infection, Vaccination, and Autoantibodies in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cause or Coincidence?
83. Immunizations in Adult Patients with Systemic Sclerosis.
84. Influenza and Autoimmunity.
85. The Role of Infections in the Immunopathogensis of Systemic Sclerosis–Evidence from Serological Studies.
86. Anti-infectious Antibodies and Autoimmune-associated Autoantibodies in Patients with Type I Diabetes Mellitus and their Close Family Members.
87. Infectious Serologies and Autoantibodies in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Insinuations at a True Pathogenic Role.
88. Infectious Serologies and Autoantibodies in Wegener's Granulomatosis and Other Vasculitides : Novel Associations Disclosed Using the Rad BioPlex 2200.
89. Exposure to Epstein–Barr Virus Infection Is Associated with Mild Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease.
90. Sugar-free Antibodies - The Bacterial Solution to Autoimmunity?
91. Infections May Have a Protective Role in the Etiopathogenesis of Celiac Disease.
92. Antitreponemal Antibodies Leading to Autoantibody Production and Protection from Atherosclerosis in Kitavans from Papua New Guinea.
Part V. New Therapeutic Options.
93. Rituximab in Severe Pemphigus.
94. Long-Term Effects of Rituximab in Rheumatoid Arthritis : Clinical, Biologic, and Pharmacogenetic Aspects.
95. Rituximab Therapy in Primary Sjögren's Syndrome.
96. Role for CaMKII Inhibition in Rheumatoid Arthritis: Effects on HIF-1-Induced VEGF Production by Rheumatoid Synovial Fibroblasts.
97. Rituximab Use in Pediatric Autoimmune Diseases: Four Case Reports.
98. Improvement of Rituximab Efficiency in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia by CpG-Mediated Upregulation of CD20 Expression Independently of PU.1.
99. B Cell Depletion in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis: A New Concept in Therapeutics.
100. Statins for the Treatment of Antiphospholipid Syndrome?
101. Influence of Statins on MHC Class I Expression.
102. Proliferation Signal Inhibitors for the Treatment of Refractory Autoimmune Rheumatic Diseases: A New Therapeutic Option.
103. Reversing Bacteria-induced Vitamin D Receptor Dysfunction Is Key to Autoimmune Disease.
104. Colchicine Revisited.
105. A New Bone Marrow Transplantation Method for Stem Cell Disorders.
106. HE3286: A Novel Synthetic Steroid as an Oral Treatment for Autoimmune Disease.
107. A Fusion Protein Composed of IL-2 and Caspase-3 Ameliorates the Outcome of Experimental Inflammatory Colitis.
108. Treatment of Rat Adjuvant Arthritis with Flavonoid (Detralex®), Methotrexate, and Their Combination.
109. In Vitro Effects of Antiphospholipid Syndrome-IgG Fractions and Human Monoclonal Antiphospholipid IgG Antibody on Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cells and Monocytes : Promotion of Procoagulant Activity and Inflammation.
110. Effects of Biologics on Vascular Function and Atherosclerosis Associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis.
111. Predictors of Damage Progression in Portuguese Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
112. An Open-label Study Adding Creatine Monohydrate to Ongoing Medical Regimens in Patients with the Fibromyalgia Syndrome.
113. TNF- Antagonist Survival Rate in a Cohort of Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Observed under Conditions of Standard Clinical Practice.
114. Treatment with PEG-interferon and Ribavirin for Chronic Hepatitis C Increases Neutrophil and Monocyte Chemotaxis.
115. CpG ODN Enhances the Efficacy of Rituximab in Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma.
116. Enhancing the Action of Rituximab in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia by Adding Fresh Frozen Plasma: Complement/Rituximab Interactions & Clinical Results in Refractory CLL.
117. Effects of Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin on Adhesion and Vesiculation of Phospholipid Membranes: A Possible Mechanism for the Treatment of Hypercoagulability in Antiphospholipid Syndrome.
M. Eric Gershwin University of California at Davis.