Such cooperation between physicians, scientists, and engineers has proven effective and is certainly also a prerequisite for the continuing development of new methods or more sophisticated techniques and instruments. This is of particular concern for the application of magnetism in medicine.
This second, completely updated and extended edition of the only reference work in this growing field of medical physics focuses on biomagnetic instrumentation as well as applications in cardiology and neurology. New chapters have been added on fetal magnetography and magnetic field therapy, as well as the safety aspects of magnetic fields.
Following an introductory section, the well–known specialist authors from Germany, USA, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands and Scandinavia go on to cover biomagnetism, magnetic resonances, as well as magnetic substances and externally applied magnetic fields, before rounding the text off with a set of conclusions.
The result is a manual for researchers in this field as well as for those who apply modern methods based on magnetism in medical practice. It equally provides a detailed overview for newcomers to the field as well as for experts familiar with only one part of the area.
– The History of Magnetism in Medicine (U.Häfeli)
– Basic Physical Principles (D.Berkov)
– Creating and Measuring Magnetic Fields (W.Andrä, H.Nowak)
– Safety Aspects of Magnetic Fields (J.H.Bernhardt, G.Brix)
– Introduction (H.Nowak)
– Biomagnetic Instrumentation (H.Nowak)
– Cardiomagnetism (G.Stroink, B.Hailer, P.van Leeuwen)
– Neuromagnetism (T.R.Knösche, N.Nakasato, M.Eiselt, J.Haueisen)
– Fetal Magnetography (U.Schneider, E.Schleussner)
3. Magnetic Resonance
– Physical Principles and Technology of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (A.Oppelt)
– Modern Applications of MRI in Medical Sciences
4. Magnetic Substances and Externally Applied Fields
– Introduction (W.Andrä)
– Magnetic Monitoring as a Diagnostic Method for Investigating Motility in the Human Digestive System (H.Richert, O.Kosch, P.Görnert)
– Remote–Controlled Drug Delivery in the Gastrointestinal Tract (W.Andrä, C.Werner)
– Magnetic Stimulation (S.Ueno, M.Fujiki)
– Liver Iron Susceptometry (R.Fischer, D.E.Farrell)
– Magnetic Hyperthermia and Thermoablation (R.Hergt, W.Andrä)
– Magnetic Cell Separation for Research and Clinical Applications (M.Apel, U.A.O.Heinlein, S.Miltenyi, J.Schmitz, J.D.M.Campbell)
– Magnetic Drug Targeting (C.Alexiou, R.Jurgons)
– New Fields of Application (W.Andrä, U.Häfeli)
5. Conclusions and Perspectives (J.Haueisen)