This book is a fully revised and updated edition of the successful Biocalorimetry: Applications of Calorimetry in the Biological Sciences, published in 1998. Since then, there have been many advances in the instrumentation as well as in its applications and methodology. There are general chapters highlighting the usage of the isothermal titration calorimeter and the differential scanning calorimeter, more advanced chapters on specific applications and tutorials that cover the idiosyncrasies of experimental methods and data analysis. The book draws these together to create the definitive biological calorimetric text book.
This book both explains the background to the method and describes novel, high-impact applications. It features works of interest to the experienced calorimetrist and the enthusiastic dilettante. The book should be of interest to all working in the field of biocalorimetry, from graduate students to researchers in academia and in industry.
List of Contributors.
PART I: GENERAL INTRODUCTION.
1. Applications of Biocalorimetry: Binding, Stability and Enzyme Kinetics (R. O’Brien and I. Haq).
PART II: ISOTHERMAL TITRATION CALORIMETRY.
2. Isothermal Titration Calorimetry: A Tutorial (J.A. Thomson and J.E. Ladbury).
3. The Application of Isothermal Titration Calorimetry to Drug Discovery (G. Holdgate. S. Fisher and W. Ward).
4. Dissecting the Thermodynamics of DNA-Protein Interactions (T. Härd).
5. Salt Effects in Ribonuclease-Ligand Interactions: Screening or Competitive Binding? (K.P. Murphy, T.T. Waldron and G.L. Schrift)
6. Thermodynamic-Structure Correlations of Sulfonamide Inhibitor Binding to Carbonic Anhydrase (D. Matulis and M. Todd).
7. Energetics of the Interaction of Human Acidic Fibroblast Growth Factor with Heparin and the Functional Analog Myo-inositol Hexasulfate (M. Guzmán-Casado, M.M. Garcia-Mira, P. Cano-Soldado, J.M. Sanchez-Ruiz and A. Parody-Morreale).
8. Thermodynamics of SH2 Domain Binding (G. Waksman, S. Kumaran and P. Lubman).
9. Titration Calorimetry as a Tool to Determining Thermodyanmic and Kinetic Parameters of Enzymes (M.L. Bianconi).
PART III: DIFFERENTIAL SCANNING CALORIMETRY.
10. Energetics of Site-Specific DNA Recognition by Integrase Tn916 (S. Milev, H.R. Bosshard and I. Jelesarov).
11. Linkage Between Temperature and Chemical Denaturant Effects on Protein Stability: The Intepretation of Calorimetrically-Determined m Values (B. Ibarra-Malero, R. Perez-Jimenez, R. Godoy-Ruiz and J.M. Sanchez-Ruiz).
12. Thermodymic Indications of the Molten Globule State of Cytochrome c Induced by Hydrophobic Salts (A.A. Moosavi-Movahedi and J. Chamani).
13. Microcalorimetry as Applied to Psychrophilic Enzymes (S. D’Amico, D. Georlette, T. Collins, G. Feller and C. Gerday).
14. An Autosampling Differential Scanning Calorimeter for Study of Biomolecular Interactions (V. Plotnikov, A. Rochalski, M. Brandts, J.F. Brandts, S. Williston, V. Frasca and L.-N. Lin).