∗ Discusses the most recent developments in the field of perfect graph theory.
∗ Highlights applications in frequency assignments for telecommunications systems, integer programming and optimization.
∗ Discusses how semi–definite programming evolved out of perfect graph theory.
∗ Includes an introduction by Claude Berg.
∗ Features internationally respected authors.
Primarily of interest to researchers from mathematics, combinatorics, computer science and telecommunications, the book will also appeal to students of graph theory.
1. Origins and Genesis (C. Berge and J.L. Ramirez Alfonsin).
The Perfect Graph Conjecture.
Translation of the Halle–Wittenberg Proceedings.
2. From Conjecture to Theorem (Bruce A Reed).
The Perfect Graph Theorem.
Some Polyhedral Consequences.
A Stronger Theorem.
3. A Translation of Gallai′s Paper: "Transitiv Orientierbare Graphen" (Frederic Maffray and Myriam Preissmann).
Introduction and Results.
The Proofs of Theorems (3.12), (3.15) and 3.16).
The Proofs of (3.18) and (3.19).
The Proofs of (3.1.16).
The Proofs of (3.1.17).
Determination of all Irreducible Graphs.
Determination of the Irreducible Graphs.
4. Even Pairs (Hazel Everett et al).
Even Pairs and Perfect Graphs.
Perfectly Contractile Graphs.
5. The P—4–Structure of Perfect Graphs (Stefan Hougardy).
P—4–Stucture: Basics, Isomorphisms and Recognition.
Modules, h–Sets, Split Graphs and Unique P—4–Structure.
The Semi–Strong perfect Graph Theorem.
The Structure of the P—4–Isomorphism Classes.
The P—4–Structure of Minimally Imperfect Graphs.
The Partner Structure and Other Generalizations.
6. Forbidding Holes and Antiholes (Ryan Hayward and Bruce A. Reed).
Graphs with No Holes.
Graphs with No Discs.
Graphs with No Long Holes.
Bipartitie Graphs with No Hole of Length 4k + 2.
Graphs without Even Holes.
Graphs without Odd Holes.
7. Perfectly Orderable Graphs: A Survey (Chinh T Hoang).
Minimal Nonperfectly Orderable Graphs.
Generalizations of Triangulated Graphs.
Generalizations of Complements of Chordal Bipartitie Graphs.
Other Classes of Perfectly Orderable Graphs.
Generalizations of Perfectly Orderable Graphs.
Optimizing Perfectly Ordered Graphs.
8. Cutsets in Perfect and Minimal Imperfect Graphs (Irena Rusu).
How Did It Start?
Main Results on Minimal Imperfect Graphs.
Applications: Star Cutsets.
Applications: Clique and Multipartite Cutsets.
Applications: Stable Cutsets.
Two (Resolved) Conjectures.
The Connectivity of Minimal Imperfect Graphs.
Some (More) Problems.
9. Some Aspects of Minimal Imperfect Graphs (Myriam Preissmann and Andras Sebo).
Imperfect and Partitionable Graphs.
10. Graph Imperfection and Channel Assignment (Colin McDiarmid).
The Imperfection Ratio.
An Alternative Definition.
Further Results and Questions.
background on Channel Assignment.
11. A Gentle Introduction to Semi–definite Programming (Bruce A. Reed).
The Ellipsoid Method.
Solving Semi–definite Programs.
Randomized Rounding and Derandomization.
12. The Theta Body.
The Theta Body and Imperfection (F.B. Shepherd).
Background and Overview.
Optimization, Convexity and Geometry.
The Theta Body.
Perfect Graph Characterizations and a Continuous Perfect Graph Conjecture.
13. Perfect Graphs and Graph Entropy (Gabor Simonyi).
The Information–Theoretic Interpretation.
Some Basic Properties.
Structural Theorems: Relation to Perfectness.
Graph Capacities and Other Related Functionals.
14 A Bibliography on Perfect Graphs (Vaek Chvátal).