- The physical layer of the OSI reference model
- Performance evaluation techniques
- Queueing theory fundamentals and their applications to networks
- Layers 2 and 3 of the OSI reference model including an in–depth discussion of protocol standards,routing algorithms, and flow and congestion control techniques
- LAN theory, standards, and technology and multiple access communications techniques
- Network interconnection and the transport layer
- ISDN, Broadband ISDN, and fast packet switching theory and architecture
The Data Link Layer and X.25.
Routing in Packet Switched Networks.
Flow and Congestion Control.
Multiple Access Communication Protocols.
Local Area Network Protocols and Standards.
Integrated Services Digital Networks.
Switching Techniques and Fast Packet Switching.