Tested and proven practices from the experts for
successful polymer characterization and analysis
Written by a team of leading mass spectrometry experts, this book enables readers to avoid the many pitfalls that often occur during the MALDI MS analysis of synthetic polymers by guiding them through each step of the procedure. It carefully explains the principles of polymer mass spectrometry and sets forth the best practices in using MALDI MS, emphasizing the specific skills and techniques required for polymer analysis and characterization. With the book′s careful guidance, readers gain new skills in:
Selecting the optimal method to characterize a particular sample
Preparing and handling samples
Analyzing data and interpreting the results
Following an overview of MS and MALDI Mass Spectrometry for Synthetic Polymer Analysis, each chapter is dedicated to a specific technique or method, including:
Time–of–flight MS for polymer characterization
Tandem MS and polymer ion dissociation
New approaches to data reduction in MS
MALDI MS applications for industrial polymers
The authors of each chapter describe the underlying principles of the technique or method, its attributes in polymer characterization, shortcomings, and efforts for further development and improvement. Examples of applications and experiments are provided alongside tips to help readers perform seamless analyses.
Because of the great diversity in polymer chemistry, there is no universal approach for MALDI MS analysis of polymers. With this book, readers can choose and apply the right analytical protocol to characterize and analyze any polymer sample.
1. Overview of MS and MALDI MS for polymer analysis.
2. Ionization Processes and Detection in MALDI–MS of Polymers.
3. Time–of–flight MS for polymer characterization.
4. Polymer analysis with Fourier Transform mass spectrometry.
5. Tandem MS and polymer ion dissociation.
6. Conventional MALDI sample preparation.
7. Solvent–free MALDI sample preparation.
8. MALDI MS for the quantitative determination of polymer molecular mass distribution.
9. New approaches to data reduction in MS.
10. MALDI MS/MS for polymer structure and composition analysis.
11. LC–MALDI MS for polymer characterization.
12. MALDI MS applications for industrial polymers.