Lead–free Electronics provides guidance on the design and use of lead–free electronics as well as technical and legislative perspectives. All the complex challenges confronting the elec–tronics industry are skillfully addressed:
- Complying with state legislation
- Implementing the transition to lead–free electronics, including anticipating associated costs and potential supply chain issues
- Understanding intellectual property issues in lead–free alloys and their applications, including licensing and infringement
- Implementing cost effective manufacturing and testing
- Reducing risks due to tin whiskers
- Finding lead–free solutions in harsh environments such as in the automotive and telecommunications industries
- Understanding the capabilities and limitations of conductive adhesives in lead–free interconnects
- Devising solutions for lead–free, flip–chip interconnects in high–performance integrated circuit products
Each chapter is written by leading experts in the field and carefully edited to ensure a consistent approach. Readers will find all the latest information, including the most recent data on cyclic thermomechanical deformation properties of lead–free SnAgCu alloys and a comparison of the properties of standard Sn–Pb versus lead–free alloys, using the energy partitioning approach.
With legislative and market pressure to eliminate the use of lead in electronics manufacturing, this timely publication is essential reading for all engineers and professionals in the electronics industry.
Chapter 1. Lead–Free Electronics: Overview.
Chapter 2. Lead–Free Legislations, Exemptions & Compliance.
Chapter 3. Lead–Free Alloys: Overview.
Chapter 4. Lead–Free Manufacturing.
Chapter 5. Review of Lead–Free Solder Joint Reliability.
Chapter 6. Constitutive Properties and Durability of Selected Lead–Free Solders.
Chapter 7. Interfacial Reactions and Performance of Lead–Free Solder Joints.
Chapter 8. Conductive Adhesives.
Chapter 9. Component–Level Issues in Lead–Free Electronics.
Chapter 10. Tin Whiskers in Electronics.
Chapter 11. Lead–Free Separable Contacts and Connectors.
Chapter 12 Intellectural Property.
Chapter 13. Costs to Lead–Free Migration.
Chapter 14. Lead–Free Technologies in the Japanese Electronics Industry.
Chapter 15. Guidelines for Implementing Lead–Free Electronics.