Fundamental to all areas of mathematics, algebra provides the cornerstone for the student?s development. The concepts are often intuitive, but some can take years of study to absorb fully. For over twenty years, the author?s classic three–volume set, Algebra, has been regarded by many as the most outstanding introductory work available. This work, Classic Algebra, combines a fully updated Volume 1 with the essential topics from Volumes 2 and 3, and provides a self–contained introduction to the subject. In addition to the basic concepts, advanced material is introduced, giving the reader an insight into more advanced algebraic topics. The clear presentation style gives this book the edge over others on the subject. Undergraduates studying first courses in algebra will benefit from the clear exposition and perfect balance of theory, examples and exercises. The book provides a good basis for those studying more advanced algebra courses.
- Complete and rigorous coverage of the important basic concepts
- Topics covered include sets, mappings, groups, matrices, vector spaces, fields, rings and modules
- Written in a lucid style, with each concept carefully explained
- Introduces more advanced topics and suggestions for further reading
- Contains over 800 exercises, including many solutions
"There is no better textbook on algebra than the volumes by Cohn." – Walter Benz, Universität Hamburg, Germany