- Complete and rigorous coverage of the important basic concepts
- Topics covered include sets, mappings, groups, matrices, vector spaces, fields, rings and modules
- Written in a lucid style, with each concept carefully explained
- Introduces more advanced topics and suggestions for further reading
- Contains over 800 exercises, including many solutions
Integers and Rational Numbers.
Vector Spaces and Linear Mappings.
Rings and Fields.
Further Group Theory.
Rings and Modules.
Normal Forms for Matrices.
Solutions to the Exercises.
Some Frequently Used Notations.
"It′s coverage of algebra is impressively wide" (Times Higher Education Supplement – Textbook Guide, 30 November 2001)
"This text combines parts of Cohn s tree–volume set...into one volume suitable for undergraduate work and self–study." (SciTech Book News, Vol. 25, No. 4, December 2001)