In the second edition, the expertise of scientists involved in chemical speciation in various fields has been brought together to provide an overview of the current status of speciation science and to indicate how the field may develop in the future. In Part 1, the book deals with methodologies for speciation analysis. Part 2 deals with elemental speciation in particular compartments of the environment. In addition to extensive updates of existing chapters, this new edition includes three new chapters on: quality control, the marine environment and single and sequential soil extraction.
1. Introduction (A.M. Ure and C.M. Davidson).
PART I: TECHNIQUES FOR SPECIATION.
2. General Strategies for Speciation (Late W.F. Pickering).
3. Direct Methods of Metal Speciation (B.A. Goodman and S.M. Glidewell).
4. Hybrid Methods of Speciation (G.M. Greenway).
5. Predicting Chemical Speciation and Computer Simulation (D.G. Lumsdon and L.J. Evans).
6. Quality Control in Speciation Studies for Environmental Monitoring (ph. Quevauviller).
PART II: Speciation in Compartments of the Environment.
7. Speciation of Metals in the Atmosphere (L.J. Spokes and T.D. Jickells).
8. Speciation in Freshwaters (M. Filella, R.M. Town and J. Buffle).
9. Speciation in Soils (G.S.P. Ritchie and G. Sposito).
10. Chemical Speciation in Soils and Related Materials by Selective Chemical Extraction (A.M. Ure and C.M. Davidson).
11. Speciation of Trace Metals in Sediments (M. Kersten).
12. Speciation in Seawater (R.H. Byrne).
13. Speciation of Radionuclides (B.R. Harvey and K.S. Leonard).
14. Speciation of Metals and Metalloids in Biological Systems (P.H.E. Gardiner).
15. Trends and Developments (R.R. Barefoot).