Ivo Hodek is one of the most internationally respected experts on coccinellids who has researched these insects for his entire career. He has now brought together 14 scientists of international standing to author 12 chapters, making this book the definitive treatment of coccinellid biology and ecology.
This volume covers the rapid scientific developments of recent years in the understanding of coccinellid phylogeny, the semiochemicals influencing their behaviour and of molecular genetics. Recent insights in relation to intraguild predation and the assessment of the predatory impact of coccinellids are also covered.
Other special features of the volume are the extensive references covering the literature from both East and West and a taxonomic glossary of the up–to–date nomenclature for species of coccinellids as well as of other organisms mentioned in the text.
While aimed at researchers, university teachers and agricultural entomologists, the book is readable and appropriate for others who just have a liking for these interesting and attractive insects.
Detailed contents, ix
Taxonomic glossary, xx
1. PHYLOGENY AND CLASSIFICATION, 1Oldrich Nedve¡d and Ivo Kovár¡
2. GENETIC STUDIES, 13John J. Sloggett and Alois Hone¡k
3. LIFE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT, 54Oldrich Nedve¡d and Alois Hone¡k
4. DISTRIBUTION AND HABITATS, 110Alois Hone¡k
5. FOOD RELATIONSHIPS, 141Ivo Hodek and Edward W. Evans
6. DIAPAUSE/DORMANCY, 275Ivo Hodek
7. INTRAGUILD INTERACTIONS, 343Éric Lucas
8. NATURAL ENEMIES OF LADYBIRD BEETLES, 375Piotr Ceryngier, Helen E. Roy and Remy L. Poland
9. COCCINELLIDS AND SEMIOCHEMICALS, 444Jan Pettersson
10. QUANTIFYING THE IMPACT OF COCCINELLIDS ON THEIR PREY, 465J. P. Michaud and James D. Harwood
11. COCCINELLIDS IN BIOLOGICAL CONTROL, 488J. P. Michaud
12. RECENT PROGRESS AND POSSIBLE FUTURE TRENDS IN THE STUDY OF COCCINELLIDAE, 520Helmut F. van Emden and Ivo Hodek
Appendix: List of Genera in Tribes and Subfamilies, 526Oldrich Nedve¡d and Ivo Kovár¡
Subject index, 532
Colour plate pages fall between pp
250 and pp. 251