Fluid flow and other transport processes form a common basis for many investigations, and this volume provides direction for this research through reports resulting from an interactive meeting at which ideas around this theme flowed freely.
In biomedical engineering and materials processing, fluid, thermal and mass–transport aspects have gained primacy among various researchers, and the sharing of expertise has become a necessity for technical progress. With long–term manned space missions in the near future, technical problems encompassing several of these disciplines have been envisioned.
The scope of the conference was far–reaching and included the following areas: levitation studies, biotransport phenomena, bio–response in the space environment, protein crystal growth, electrostatic and electromagnetic phenomena, heat and mass transport in materials technology, crystal growth, interfacial phenomena in space, boiling phenomena in space, drops, bubbles, and particles, phase–change phenomena, combustion and space power systems, and technological challenges in space.
NOTE: Annals volumes are available for sale as individual books or as a journal. For information on institutional journal subscriptions, please visit [external URL]
ACADEMY MEMBERS: Please contact the New York Academy of Sciences directly to place your order ([external URL] Members of the New York Academy of Science receive full–text access to the Annals online and discounts on print volumes. Please visit [external URL] for more information about becoming a member.
1. Convection in Levitated Droplets and Its Effects on the Measurement of Thermophysical Properties: Ben Q. Li.
2. Microgravity Experiments on the Effect of Internal Flow on Solidification of Fecrni Stainless Steels: Alaina Hanlon, Douglas M. Matson, and Robert W. Hyers.
3. Study on Internal Flow and Surface Deformation of Large Droplet Levitated by Ultrasonic Wave: Yutaka Abe, Daisuke Hyuga, Syogo Yamada, Kazuyoshi Aoki & Masahiro Kawaji.
4. Containerless Measurements of Thermophysical Properties of Ti8Zr54Cu20Al10Ni8: Rich C. Bradshaw, M.E. Warren, R.W. Hyers, J.R. Rogers, T.J. Rathz, A.K. Gangopadhyay & K.F. Kelton.
5. Noncontact Thermophysical Property Measurement by Levitation of A Thin Liquid Disk: Sungho Lee, Kenichi Ohsaka, Alexei Rednikov & S.S. Sadhal.
6. Transient Dynamics and Directional Solidification Processes in Spacial Platforms: Xavier Ruiz.
7. A Numerical Analysis of Shear–Thinning in Heavy–Metal Fluoride Glasses: Reginald W. Smith, B.J.Yang & I.R.Dunkley.
8. Effect of Input Diffusivity in An Axisymmetric Mass Diffusivity Model for Liquid Metals With An Applied Magnetic Field: Y.Y. Khine & R.M. Banish.
Part II: Crystal Growth:.
9. Developing Quantitative, Multi–Scale Models for Microgravity Crystal Growth: Jeffrey J. Derby, Lisa Lun, Paul Sonda, Andrew Yeckel, Thomas Jung & Georg Mueller.
10. Effect of Microgravity and Magnetic Field on Metallurgical and Crystalline Structure of Magnetstictive Smfe2 Synthesized by Unidirectional Solidification: Takeshi Okutani, Hideaki Nagai, Mikito Mamiya & Martin Castillo.
11. Convection Effects on Crystallinity in the Growth of In0.3Ga0.7As Crystals by the Traveling Liquidus–Zone (TLZ) Method: Kyoichi Kinoshita, Y. Ogata, S. Adachi, S. Yoda, T. Tsuru, H. Miyata & Y. Muramatsu.
Part III: Diffusion Processes:.
12. Fluctuations in Diffusion Processes in Microgravity: Stefano Mazzoni, Roberto Cerbino, Alberto Vailati & Marzio Giglio.
13: Effect of Gravity on the Dynamics of Fluctuations in A Free Diffusion Experiment: by Fabrizio Croccolo, Doriano Brogioli, Alberto Vailati, Marzio Giglio & Dave Cannell.
14: Pre–Flight Diffusion Experiments on Liquid Metals Under 1g–Conditions for the Foton–M2 Mission: Shinsuke Suzuki, Kurt–Helmut Kraatz & Günter Frohberg.
15. A Numerical Study of the Influence of G–Jitter on Measurements of Liquid Diffusion Coefficients: Reginald W. Smith, B.J.Yang & B.Ma.
Part IV: Protein Crystal Growth:.
16. Bio–Molecular Crystal Growth: Does Gravity Play A Key Role?: Vivian Stojanoff.
17. Hypergravity As A Crystallization Tool: Christo Nanev & Ivajlo Dimitrov.
18. Macromolecular Crystallization in Microgravity Generated by A Superconducting Magnet: Nobuko I. Wakayama, D.C. Yin, K. Harata, T. Kiyoshi & Y. Tanimoto.
19. Is the Crystal Growth Under Low Supersaturations Influenced by the Tendency To A Minimum of the Surface Free Energy?: Christo Nanev.
20. Upside Down Protein Crystallisation: Designing Microbatch Experiments for Microgravity: Naomi Chayen & Sahir Khurshid.
21. Can Low Magnetic Field Improve the Quality of Macromolecular Crystals? by V. Stojanoff.
22. Enhancement and Suppression of Protein Crystal Nucleation Under the Influence of Shear Flow: Anita Penkova, Weichun Pan, Peter G. Vekilov.
Part V: Biotransport Phenomena:.
23. Modeling Heat and Mass Transfer for Living on Mars: Masamichi Yamashita, Yoji Ishikawa, Yoshiaki Kitaya, Eiji Goto, Mayumi Arai, Hirofumi Hashimoto, Kaori Tomita–Yokotani, Masayuki Hirafuji, Katsunori Omori, Akira Tani, Kyoichiro Toki & Osamu Fujita.
24. Heat and Gas Exchanges Between Plants and Atmosphere Under Microgravity Conditions: Yoshiaki Kitaya.
25. Gas Embolism and Surfactant–Based Intervention: Implications for Long Duration Space Based Activity: David M. Eckmann, J. Zhang, J. Lampe & P.S. Ayyaswamy.
26. Digesta Propulsion: Model of Cascading Kinematics and Unsteady Peristalsis (Mock–Up) Simulation: C.P. Arun.
27. Numerical Modeling of the Transport To An Intravascular Bubble in A Tube With A Soluble/Insoluble Surfactant: Portonovo S. Ayyaswamy, Jie Zhang & David Eckmann.
Part VI: Fluid Dynamics in Space Systems:.
28. Modeling Flow and Transport in Space Exploration Systems: J. Iwan D. Alexander.
29. Microgravity Experiment of on–Orbit Fluid Transfer Technique Using Swirl Flow: Osamu Kawanami, Ryoji Imai, Haruhiko Ohta, Hisao Azuma, Itsuro Honda, Yousuke Kawashima.
30. Hydrostatic Compressibility Phenomena: New Opportunities for Near Critical Research in Microgravity: V.I. Polezhaev, A.A. Gorbunov, S.A.Nikitin, E.B. Soboleva.
31. Axisymmetric Surface Oscillations in A Cylindrical Container With Compensated Gravity: Jens Gerstmann, Am Fallturm, Bremen, Mark Michaelis & Michael E. Dreyer.
Part VII: Interfacial Phenomena:.
32. Surfactants on Highly Deforming Drop Interfaces: Kathleen J. Stebe, Fang Jin, Nivedita Gupta, Charles D. Eggleton, Tse Min Tsai.
33. Thermocapillary Flow in Double–Layer Fluid Structures: Nivedita R. Gupta, Hossein Haj–Hariri, Ali Borhan.
34. Electrowetting Droplet Activation for Low Gravity Environment: Kamran Mohseni.
35. Dynamics of Spontaneous Capillary Penetration Into Capillaries:Ali Borhan, Anthony Fick.
36. Flow Rate Limitation in Open Capillary Channel Flows (CCF): Dennis Haake, Am Fallturm, Uwe Rosendahl, Antje Ohlhoff, F.H. Bielefeld & Michael Dreyer.
37. Analysis of Heat and Mass Transfer During Condensation Over A Porous Substrate: R. Balasubramaniam, V. Nayagam, M.M. Hasan & L. Khan.
38. Direct Computational Simulations and Experiments for Condensation Inside Tubes and Channels: Amitabh Narain, W. Xiaomin, L. Phan, A. Siemionko & J. H. Kurita.
Part VIII: Drops and Bubbles.
39. Coalescence of Drops and Bubbles in Tube Flow: Eisa Almatroushi.
Part IX: Electrostatic and Electromegnetic Phenomena.
40. Heat Transfer Enhancement by Electric Fields in Several Heat Exchange Regimes: Walter Grassi, Daniele Testi.
41. Canceling Buoyancy of Gaseous Fuel Flames in A Gravitational Environment Using An Ion Driven Wind: Michael James Papac, Derek Dunn–Rankin.
42. Numerical Computation on Magnetothermal Air Jet in Gravitational and Non–Gravitational Fields: Masato Akamatsu, Mitsuo Higano, Hitoshi Ogasawara.
Part X: Space Systems.
43. Using Large Electric Fields To Control Transport in Microgravity: Derek Dunn–Rankin & Felix J. Weinberg.
44. Augmentation of Heat Transfer on the Downward Surface of A Heated Plate by Ion Injection: Walter Grassi, Daniele Testi, Davide Della Vista, Gabriele Torelli.
Part XI: Boiling Phenomena.
45. Some Parameter Boundaries Governing Microgravity Pool Boiling Modes: Herman Merte, Jr.
46. Some Experiments on Heat Transfer Enhancement in Subcooled Boiling: Yuka Shimane, Mitsuyasu Itoh & Koichi Suzuki.
47. Subcooled Flow Boiling With Microbubble Emission in A Narrow Channel: Koichi Suzuki & Hiroshi Kawamura.
Part XII: Thermal Management of Space Systems.
48. Self–Rewetting Fluids––Beneficial Aqueous Solutions: Yoshiyuki Abe.
49. A Structure of High–Performance Evaporators for Space Application: Haruhiko Ohta, Yasuhisa Shinmoto, Toshiyuki Mizukoshi, Yosuke Ishikawa.
50. Enhancement of Convective Heat Transfer on A Flat Plate by Artificial Roughness and Vibration: M.A. Saleh